Self Confidence in Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

The famous Walt Disney once said, “The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique.” While it might seem cheesy and cliché to take self-positivity advice from the man who drew the most famous mouse, it is actually a fresh take on going against the self-confidence stigma of America.

For one thing, in today’s society we are programmed, especially as women, to go against any intrinsic inklings of self-confidence and self-love and replace them with negativity and disproval. Loathing is popular and seemingly the only way to remain ‘in touch’ with yourself and society. But what should we make of that? Are we all destined to hate ourselves and never come to full acceptance because society has dictated that that is the way things should be? Why, when a compliment is given, are girls pressured to act in disbelief? Why must we consistently discredit ourselves and convince ourselves and others that we have such little self-worth? Furthermore, why is the world so taken a back when for once a female is able to say, “I know I’m beautiful!”. “I am beautiful” should be as easy to say as “I am hungry”. They’re just words that describe who you are and how you feel, and we should allow them to flow with honesty and ease. And in all these standout examples we find Walt’s quote to be the evident truth- that a girl who knows she is beautiful, regardless, is extremely hard to find.

So, what does that mean for all of us? For one thing, it means not denying. No more brushing off compliments and refusing that anyone, for a second, including yourself, could ever find a smidge of beauty or intelligence in you. And above all, no more playing the “self-hatred” game. You know, the one where girls pick themselves apart because in order to play by societal norms you cannot know you’re beautiful, you cannot know you’re intelligent, and especially you cannot know your worth! (How would the beauty and plastic surgery industry even survive if we all decided that self-loathing is our most problematic habit?)

When one overcomes these habits forced upon us by society an awakening happens. The clouds lift and sun shines through the first time a girl learns that she can respond to a compliment with a subtle, “Thank you, I know.” Life becomes more fun when a girl realizes she is able to order a burger (and fries) without feeling shame and embarrassment. Her smile is brightened when, finally, as a female she can see that her confidence is her most valuable asset that no one can take away from her. So, order the burger, admit to yourself that you look amazing, and celebrate hard over how smart you are, because (although society won’t tell you this secret) self-love is the most important gift you can give yourself.

I'm an English major in my freshman year. I enjoy writing and utilizing the written word to discuss and speak out about topics important to me, such as feminism and the all encompassing human rights issues of America.
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy