Communication is Key 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

As we’re getting older and gaining new experiences we form new relationships, while at the same time, we try and hold on to old ones. Whether this be with friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, you name it, it’s happening. 

A very important piece of advice I’ve received is to not only communicate, but communicate well. Throughout these last few years, I’ve come to learn how important communication is. I can’t stress this enough. If something is bothering you, or if you’re upset about something, you need to talk to the person that’s causing those feelings. It may not be easy, it may not be fun, and it may take a lot of guts to be confrontational (especially if that person is very close to you and you’re afraid about the possibility of it straining your relationship). However, it must be done because it’s the right thing to do. 

There’s no point going on acting like everything is fine, when in fact, you’re irritated. Sometimes the other person may not even know you’re upset, so ask to speak with them alone, be completely transparent, and explain how you feel. 

Of course, take the time to think about what’s bothering you before confronting someone and be conscious of whether it’s something small and petty that can be compromised. If it continues to be an issue, then you need to talk about it. Relationships require effort from both sides; if one isn’t fully happy, it’s not fair to either side. Sometimes these tough conversations are indicators of commitment levels and can also show people’s true colors. You may decide to part ways, try to work things out, compromise, or you could even grow stronger. It all begins with being civil, honest, and sincere. If you want change to happen, it’s up to you to make it happen, remember that.

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy