Why Living in a Suite Freshman Year is the Best Decision

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

By Allie Berloco

During orientation, our group leaders brought us through all the freshman dorms before we ranked which one we would prefer to live in during our first year at school. The last dorm that we visited was Midrise and I immediately fell in love. Although the tour guides told us over and over again that Midrise was the most difficult to live in and that having five to six other suitemates during your first year of college could definitely be challenging. Knowing the risks, I still out Midrise as my number one choice and I ended up getting it. And now I can most definitely say that deciding to live in a suite was the best decision of my life. My six other suitemates have become my family and I couldn’t imagine life without them. In honor of each and every one of them, I will be listing six reasons why suite living really is sweet living.

1. You have someone to go to the dinning hall with at all times. This one is especially crucial during the first few weeks of school. When you barely know anyone and the thought of eating alone totally petrifies you and you barely know anyone. All you have to do is walk out into the common area and mention food, and suddenly you have a group to go down with.

2. There’s always someone to talk to, whether you’re sad, happy, or excited. No matter what time of day, someone will ALWAYS be there for you. Whether you want to share the awesome news that you aced your test or you need a shoulder to cry on because you just can’t deal with boys anymore, someone is always there listening and comforting you.

3. A night in always ends up being much more fun than a night out. Not in the mood to go out on a Friday night? No problem! All you need is your suitemates, a good movie, some music, and some Ben and Jerry’s and it will beat anyone else’s night! A dance party in the common area of your suite will beat a crowded dance floor anywhere else. 

4. Photoshoots are constant. Seven girls means seven iPhones and at least one professional camera. The photo opportunities will be constant and you will be sure to get an insta-worthy photo along with awesome pictures to upload to Facebook to show everyone back home how much fun you are having.

5. It’s like having your own personal life coach (x 6!). Need advice? Not an issue! When you’re talking to six others, chances are, at least one of them has been in your position at least once before. Everyone has awesome advice to offer and make the stressful times a little less stressful. A good suite will only want the best for you!

6. Lastly, you gain an incredible bond that will last a lifetime and find six new girls to call your sisters. 

Madison is a senior journalism student at Marist College with an affinity for all things writing, iced coffee, and Great Gatsby related. She is currently a Lifestyles & Her Future writer for Her Campus.