This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Anxiety has become an incredibly common mental disorder in today’s young people. Anxiety is seen as a crippling and negative thing that we must meditate and pop pills for. Although I am all for some coping methods, I am personally thankful for my anxiety, to some extent, of course. I started viewing my anxiousness as a positive thing, and I don’t know where I would be without it. Unnecessary nervousness can seem like a heavy burden, but It can also be helpful. Here are four ways anxiety can be beneficial:

1. Motivation

Anxiety can force you to think of all the possible adverse outcomes. Although this sounds awful, it is a drive to get things started. For example, if you have anxiety over your career, it may make you want to get started on that job hunt. If you are anxious over a project coming up, you’ll be more likely to get it started.

Courtesy of Unique Mindcare 

2. Preparation

Along with motivation, anxiety can make you more prepared. It’s what makes you look over your notes a second time or practice that presentation again. It is that voice that is continually telling you that you are going to fail that midterm or bomb that interview that can push you to be more prepared. I know in my own experience, anxiety is what prevents me from doing projects the day it is due or studying the last minute.

Courtesy of Health Magazine

3. Protection

Probably the most helpful thing our anxiety can do is tell us when we are in danger. Natural anxiety gives us that fight-or-flight response to possible harm. In dangerous situations, that voice in the back of our heads alerts us when we are in danger. That alert can also let us avoid potential accidents. 

4. Leadership

Anxiety makes us think of every possible outcome. We become more aware of details when we are anxious, such as what needs to be done. In group settings, it is easier to see what could go wrong and what is still missing. Anxious people take everything under careful consideration, which makes them great problem solvers. 

Courtesy of Red Lemon Club

Journalism and Public Relations student at Marist College.