Where It All Began: Marissa Russo and Nicole Knoebel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

We caught up with the two founders of Her Campus at Marist College: Marissa Russo and Nicole Knoebel.

As February comes to a close, many college seniors are getting antsy about career moves and thoughts of the future. Lucky for Her Campus, we were able to catch up with two Marist graduates who not only have taken on the “real world” full force, but who also left their legacy by bringing Her Campus to Marist College! Marissa Russo and Nicole Knoebel share with us their ties to Her Campus as well as their current successes and inspiring insight.

Her Campus: You two are responsible for beginning Marist College Her Campus chapter. What made you want to do this and how did it feel when you got Marist on the Her Campus map?

Marissa Russo: Nicole and I were both aware of and interested in Her Campus because of friends from home who would write and share articles. We thought it was a really cool concept and we felt that Marist would really benefit from a HC chapter. The day we were approved was really exciting, and honestly it’s been such a steady growth since then! I am so beyond impressed with the leadership and creativity that Anna and Lizzy have brought to HC Marist! It is better than ever.

Nicole Knoebel: I had been writing for Her Campus’s national site for about a year and thought that a Marist chapter could be really popular. When Her Campus Marist launched, it was so cool to see these Marist-specific articles that everyone could relate to be shared so frequently on social media. It felt like it was something that people were really enjoying.

HC: And we are so glad you two did it! Do you have a favorite article you have written for Her Campus? Why?

MR: I wrote a blog post when I came back from studying abroad in London that really resonated with me. It’s still very hard to put into words what that experience was like, but that blog was a great start. I also loved writing about my best friend Eddy as a campus celebrity. I learned so much about him in the process!

Read Marissa’s Post-Abroad Article and Celeb Article!

NK: I liked writing articles that were more like GIF-listicles. I think my favorites were writing about the stages of a night out and living in Gartland because a lot of people seemed to relate and think the same things.

Read Nicole’s Gartland Article and Going Out Article!

HC: Those are some of our favorites as well! In terms of the community as a whole, what do you like most about Her Campus?

MR: I love that it gives college students an opportunity to write and work in a professional environment. The entire HC setup is extremely professional and is the model for many things out there in the “real world.” It’s also just an amazing opportunity for the correspondents to express their thoughts and share them with others. It really fosters a group of strong, positive women!

NK: I like that it gives college women the opportunity to build writing portfolios and create something totally unique on their campus. I loved that we had something like a BuzzFeed for Marist because of Her Campus.

HC: We certainly love the opportunities Her Campus gives us! What advice would you give to current contributors?

MR: Write, write, write! Even if you’re not writing an article for a particular week, if you feel that creative surge inside you, don’t surprise it. If something funny strikes you as you walk to class, write it down in your phone notes so you can remember it later. HC is a great way to share your writing with the college community, but also use it is a way to develop your own personal writing skills and habits that will indubitably help you in your “regular” life! Also, don’t blink because college goes faster and faster with every passing day.

NK: I would say don’t be afraid to pitch article ideas and put yourself out there to interview people. There’s no such thing as a bad idea; your pitches might spark an idea in someone else’s head!

HC: Thank you! Lastly, can we get an update on your post graduate life?

MR: I was super fortunate to land a job right out of college! Since June, I’ve been working at the Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center as the Arts Education Manager. It’s all of my passions combined into one job, and I’ve had the time of my life working with students of all ages (even senior citizens!) who are interested in the performing arts. I firmly believe that my Marist education & my time with HC Marist helped prepare me for this job!

NK: I work as a copywriter at a pharmaceutical advertising agency. It was something that was never on my radar while I was at Marist but I’m so glad the opportunity popped up after graduation.

HC: We are so proud and grateful for you both. Best of luck on all of your future endeavors and thank you for all that you have done to make Her Campus Marist possible!

Check out Marissa and Nicole’s thank you article written at the end of the first full semester of Her Campus Marist here.

Cassie Carroll is a Senior at Marist College with a dual major in English Literature and Adolescent Education and a minor in Theatre. She is a member of Marist College Club of Theatre Arts and Dance Ensemble, loves naps, Nutella, and lots of coffee.