Campus Celeb: Eddy Lee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Eddy Lee is a sophomore majoring in Public Relations and Advertising, and minoring in Theatre. Besides his heavy course load, he is on a theatre scholarship, works as a Resident Assistant on the North End Staff, and is heavily involved in the Marist College Club of Theatre Arts, Marist Singers, and Chamber Singers. On top of all of that, he is currently the lead in Godspell. We’re tired just listening to his schedule! HC found the time to sit down with Eddy and hear about his hectic, but wonderful life here at Marist.

HC: What was your reaction when you were cast as Jesus in Godspell?

EL: I was completely shocked when I found out that I was cast in Godspell. I was extremely sick before auditions, so I was very worried about whether or not I would get cast at all. At Marist, I have been very lucky to receive great roles in the two main stage productions I have been in—And There Was None and Bonnie & Clyde. This role, however, is larger than any I have had here or anywhere else. Although it was nerve-racking at first, with the help and the talents of such a hardworking cast & crew, I can say that this production was not as intimidating as I thought it would be.

HC: What has it been like to play Jesus?

EL: It has been such a pleasure to play this role. While performing, I get to really focus on the love and the positivity that he preached about. I have so much fun because Jesus is such a comedic character in show. Since Godspell allows you to really make every character your own, it has been great to allow more of myself to be portrayed onstage.

HC: What is your favorite part of performing?

EL: There are so many things that I love about performing. What I love most about performing, however, is spreading the joy and excitement of theater to the audience as much as I can. I like to sing and dance too.

HC: How do you balance your time between being an RA and being involved in so many clubs?

EL: It has been extremely difficult balancing my crazy schedule. I have had a few very late nights this semester, but with the incredible support of the North End staff and my production team, I have been able to make it through these past six weeks of rehearsal!

HC: Best time managment advice?

EL: Don’t procrastinate. It’s so much worse having everything pile up on you at once (easier said than done).

HC: What is your favorite Marist memory?

EL: I have so many wonderful memories here at Marist. My favorite memory, however, was going to Disney World with the Marist College Band and Singers last winter. Spending an entire week in Disney with some of your closest friends while getting to perform… it doesn’t get much better than that.

HC: What do you most look forward to in your next two years at Marist?

EL: I look forward to studying abroad in London next Fall, making new memories with my friends, and performing more with Singers and MCCTA in the coming years.

HC: If you had to give freshman year you a piece of advice, what would it be?

EL: Don’t be afraid to be yourself. My freshman year, I was so insecure and worried about what people thought of me since I was coming to a new place. I was so much happier once I let go of that insecurity and focused on what made myself happy. Just be kind to everyone you meet, and don’t be afraid to be exactly who you are. 

Don’t forget to catch Eddy and the rest of the Godspell cast this weekend (February 26th-March 1st) in the Nelly Goletti Theatre!

Photo Credit 1: Sara Kiter

Photo Credit 2: Nick Bencivengo

Marissa is a current Senior at Marist College studying English with a Literature concentration. She has minors in Psychology and Theatre, and is working towards a certification in Adolescent Education. Her biggest passion is the performing arts, specifically theatre. She is currently serving as the Vice-President of the Marist College Club of Theatre Arts, and the President of the Marist Chapter of Alpha Psi Omega, the National Theatre Honor Society. She is also an active member of the Marist Singers. After studying abroad in London last fall, Marissa has an obsession with all things British, and is itching to continue traveling the world. She is honored to be a Campus Correspondent for this chapter of Her Campus, especially with Nicole as a supporter and partner through this entire process.