Six Healthy Thanksgiving Dessert Recipes That Are Too Delicious to Pass Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

I find healthy eating to be really important, but it’s especially difficult around the holidays. With the abundance of food, and specifically decadent desserts, it’s hard to remain motivated to eat right. But having healthy and delicious dessert recipes to fall back on is a great way to have fun baking, as well as keep away the dreaded holiday weight gain.

Thanksgiving is by far my favorite day of the year, and with the holiday right around the corner it is the perfect opportunity to whip together some delicious and satisfying desserts that won’t pack on the pounds. Including everything from chocolate to pumpkin to spiced apples, here are 6 recipes that are perfect to get you into the fall and holiday spirit.

1. Paleo & Gluten-free Pumpkin Spice Bars. It wouldn’t be fall without pumpkin spice, and what better way to get it than with these paleo and gluten free dessert bars? Using real pumpkin puree and almond butter, you can get all the tastes of fall, and the maple frosting is just the cherry on top.
  2. Apple Pie Oatmeal Cookies. Nothing says Thanksgiving like a good apple pie. And if it’s even possible, oatmeal cookies mixed with apple pie is better. They’re super simple to make, and with healthy ingredients like real apples, honey, and oats they won’t leave you feeling too stuffed. Plus, the combination of cinnamon, apples, and honey makes for the perfect fall cookie.
  3. Spiced Hot Fruit Bake. Although the creator technically made it for Christmas, it’s one of my personal favorites for Thanksgiving as well. Made with fresh fruit like apples, pears, and cranberries, sweetened with honey, and covered in spices, this bake is flavorful and delicious.  
  4. Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Clean Eating Scones.  Super easy to make, and with no refined sugar or flour, Greek yogurt and pumpkin puree to give it its great texture, and maple syrup for sweetness, they’re delicious and won’t pack on the pounds. The recipe even calls for mini chocolate chips “because their smaller size ensures that every bite contains at least one morsel of chocolate.” It really can’t get any better than that. 
  5. CrockPot Caramel Apple Crumble. Although not super “healthy” (it does have apples), this recipe is extremely easy to make, it only requires that you combine all ingredients in one single crock pot and allow it to cook on low for 4 hours. Throw it in before Thanksgiving dinner and it’ll be fresh and warm by the time dessert rolls around.
  6. No Bake Cinnamon Roll Cookies. Paleo, vegan, and gluten free, these no-bake cinnamon roll cookies are fun to make and surprisingly tasty. They don’t require any baking, just a short time in the fridge, and they include nut butter and vanilla protein powder (neither of which you can taste) making them as nutritious as they are delicious.

Image Credit: Amy’s Healthy Baking. 

Makena is the Decor Section Editor, and former Style Section Editor and Editorial Intern at Her Campus. She is a senior at Marist College majoring in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and a minor in Graphic Design. One day she hopes to put her writing skills to work at a magazine or women's publication.  Follow her on Instagram @makenagera and Twitter @makena_gera.