This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

By: Victoria Cremin

Being back on campus can be great, but it can also make the reality of having to do virtual classes (again) a reality. Although it can be easy to get overwhelmed by all of the college chaos, it is important to find time for yourself and taking just five minutes in the morning to reflect can really make all the difference in your day. Here are a few ways in which you can focus your energy in the morning.

Set an Intention: One of the most valuable things you can do in the morning is set an intention for the day. It doesn’t need to be anything crazy or in-depth, it just needs to be meaningful to you. An intention can be anything from “give someone a compliment today” to “stay positive even in stressful situations.” The point of a morning intention is to get over the morning funk and put yourself in a positive mindset. You have control over your own feelings and it is up to YOU to decide how you want to feel that day.

Reflect on Yesterday: By taking a moment to reflect on yesterday, you are able to both appreciate it and cleanse yourself of it. You can appreciate the good things that happened to you yesterday and reflect on how you handled any negative events in your life. How you acted towards obstacles you faced yesterday doesn’t need to be the same as how you face obstacles today. Yet, as important as it is to value the role of yesterday, remember that today is a new day. Take this time to cleanse yourself of yesterday’s mistakes or shortcomings. Today is a fresh start, filled with new possibilities, and opportunities to grow.

Embrace Self-Love: Take this time to embrace self-love and give yourself a compliment! Balancing college, work, friends, family, and everything else that life throws your way is hard! Spend just a few minutes in the morning reminding yourself that you are strong, powerful, compassionate individual and that you can do whatever you set your mind to! It is easy to find people and things that want to bring you down, but reminding yourself of all your wonderful attributes in the morning can promote self-confidence and positivity that will last all day.

Appreciate the Little Things: In the mornings, it is especially easy for your mind to get overwhelmed by all of the things that could or should happen in the twelve hours before you. Remember to slow down and focus on the moment that you are in right now. Banish that endless “To-Do List” running through your head for five minutes and just enjoy your morning coffee. Or spend a little extra time picking out your outfit for the day. Use the mornings to savor the tiny activities that give you joy and allow that feeling to stay with you throughout the day. 

These are just some of the millions of ways in which you can embrace the morning and start your day with a positive attitude and a happy heart! Whether you prefer mornings or nights, just remember to take some time to focus on yourself amidst all the stress that college can bring.

Victoria Cremin is a Marist sophmore majoring in Accounting, as well as the Editor-in-Chief for Marist HerCampus. She loves fashion, reading, theater, cinema, and has a passion for all things Disney. Victoria dreams of working in the Hudson Valley at a business that allows her to connect with members of her community.