samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Get Over the February Hump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

February is the hardest months for college students of the spring semester. It’s cold out, the only holiday is Valentine’s Day, and there are no breaks from school. All other months either have a break or have nicer whether. It can be hard to get through February, especially if you suffer from seasonal depression. Here are great ways to avoid being bummed out in February.  

Plan a weekly event to look forward to 

This can be anything from a weekly house dinner to a Tuesday movie night. It will give you something to look forward to, and plan. It will be a nice break from all the stress of school and something fun to do, that isn’t going out.

Cook cool foods 

Cooking is fun because you get to have a fun experience making it, and then you get to eat it! Make your favorite food, test out that BuzzFeed recipe you’ve been dying to try, or make a dish the dining hall does not offer.

Find fun weekend activities (other than “going out”) 

See what your area has to offer. I know my friends and I went bowling last year, which was actually a lot of fun since all of us went. It was great. Try to find little things to do, from swimming at the college pool to going to the movies. This offers a break from the weekly “going out” routine and gives you something different to look forward to. 

Study to music 

This breaks up the mundane task of studying, and may actually make you more focused. It makes studying and doing homework more fun, and during breaks you can add more music to your playlist, or select which songs to play next.

Make a new friend 

Hanging out with the same people can get repetitive, and you may get tired of them. Try to make a new friend to break the cycle. They can be in your class, on your floor, in a club or just a random in the library. Having a new friend brings fun and excitement to one’s life, and can make it more exciting.

No matter what you do, try to make your month fun, and exciting.  

Marist College student, Marketing Major Marketing/Advertising Director of HerCampus Marist, Treasurer of Marist Advertising Club Also in American Advertising Federation, Campus Ministry, and I write for the Odyssey Fun Fact I have sprained my right ankle 7 times.