5 Podcasts To Listen To On Your Morning Commute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

This semester, I’ve spent a large amount of my time on a train.  My hour and a half long train ride to and from Manhattan for my internship requires some entertainment to pass the time.  One of the major outlets I’ve turned to is podcasts. Here are 5 podcasts that have made a long commute much more enjoyable.

Crime Junkie

Crime Junkie is perfect for true crime fanatics.  The host, Ashley Flowers, heavily researches cases and shares them in a way that draws listeners in.  This podcast will always be one of my favorites, handling devastating stories with care, and delivering them in a way that is respectful and informative.  Listen here

Thirst Aid Kit

Thirst Aid Kit is one of my more recent findings.  The hosts Bim and Nichole, are absolute blessings to listen to, with their “thirsting” over Hollywood’s most beautiful men never failing to make me laugh.  If you’re feeling worn out after a long day’s work, Thirst Aid Kit is the perfect medicine.  Listen here.

Unhappy Hour with Matt Bellassai

This podcast has been one of my saving graces for years now.  The host, Matt Bellassai, is one of my favorite social media personalities, as we both share an undying love for Harry Styles, his heavily advertised on Twitter.  His tweets are great, and his podcast is no less of a delight, despite its seemingly negative pretenses. The first segment, “Worst Things First,” covers the worst and most ridiculous news of the week, never failing to make me laugh in disbelief of our world and the bizarre people in it. Each week, Bellassai discusses things he hates, with topics ranging anywhere from dating to the summer months.  His delivery is punchy and hilarious, forcing me to turn my face towards the window to hide my laughs from fellow commuters.  Listen here.

Rolling Stone Music Now

Calling all music lovers!! I love this podcast for many reasons.  Reasons number 1 and 2? Rob Sheffield and Brittany Spanos. These two hosts are extremely refreshing music critics, never feeling as if they are “too cool” for certain genres or artists.  They worship Stevie Nicks, but they also love Taylor Swift. They’re fans of 70s rock, but they’re also obsessed with One Direction. Women in music are heavily discussed and celebrated, and there are no traces of arrogance detected in any episode.  Sheffield has been a music critic for Rolling Stone for years, and he is one of the most knowledgeable music fans out there, Spanos is a young and hilarious music critic and lover, always offering a more modern outlook on the music landscape.  I’ve discovered so much amazing music from this podcast, and I’ve also been able to listen to insightful and unbiased reviews of the artists I love. Give it a listen now!

Billboard First Stream

If you’re looking for quick reviews of the most recent music releases, look no further!  Billboard First Stream rapidly creates episodes that reflect the most recent happenings in music, offering reviews on albums, singles, and artists in real time.  For updates on where the music industry stands day to day, give this podcast a listen.

Elizabeth is a senior at Marist College studying Public Relations and Advertising.  Currently serving as the Editor in Chief and CC of the Marist Chapter, she enjoys writing about entertainment, music, lifestyle, and news.