This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manipal chapter.

Zanjeer is a reminder of the epiphany in our life. It plays on a loop and tells us to not pay attention to others’ criticism. In most of our lives, there will be people who condemn or bully us, who might literally try to stop us from achieving our dreams and ambitions. However, we shouldn’t be too bothered by their words. We must keep our conscience clear. It’ll be hard not to hear them, but its outcome would be positive.

The play kicks off with an intriguing preamble by the narrator, which introduces the protagonist of the play. The latter is bound by chains and has to face something far worse than snake bites or swords to achieve his dreams – bullies and judgments. The scene is portrayed brilliantly. His chains are a representative of these opinions and insults which hold him back from achieving his dreams. In the scene, he’s surrounded by dogmatics who taunt him while he tries to fight back each time. He tries his best to cut off the chains; however, he couldn’t. Nevertheless, he gathered whatever strength he had and eventually freed himself from the chains by achieving his desired goal. In the end, those voices fade away while the protagonist stands firm and free.

Plays and Dramas are generally associated with the actors loudly chanting “Aao Aao Naatak Dekho! Aao Aao Naatak Dekho!…” This goes on and on until a huge crowd gathers around them to witness a fantastic play that has a beautiful message. However, with a virus in our world restricting everyone within four walls, organizing a play at such a scale is challenging. Yet, Ada Dramatics has gone the distance to produce an impeccable play online, despite the trying times. 

With a minimal but effective audio design, superior performance by the actors, the effective use of technology, and with perfect fade in and fade out, the narrative is transformed into a brilliant performance. In other words, this is an engrossing 10-minute play delivered in the most simplistic manner using a digital platform.

Stay curious...
Bhavya is a second-year undergraduate student at Manipal Institute of Technology majoring in Chemical Engineering. Finds comfort in music and a hot cup of coffee.