What If I Don’t Think My Major is the Right Fit?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

When I applied to Manhattan College, I applied as a childhood education major. When I started my freshman year, I switched to the School of Liberal Arts to pursue communication. A day before Spring registration my sophomore year, I switched from communication to environmental studies. Finally, one month after that, I switched right back to communication and declared a minor in environmental studies. If this isn’t proof that college students change their majors all the time and it’s completely normal, then I don’t know what is. 

What I just described above is 100% true. It may seem like I was a hot mess, and trust me, I sure felt like one, but I got through it. Upon graduating high school, I was unsure of what career path I wanted to pursue because I had so many different likes and interests but I couldn’t see myself pursuing any of them as a career. Let me tell you, it’s okay! It is perfectly normal to go into college undeclared; I wish I did when I first started. That being said, even if you already declared a major but you are questioning whether or not it’s the right fit, that is also completely normal. If you find yourself in this situation, as I once was, let me offer you some tips to (hopefully) help you sort this out!

1. Ask yourself why did you pick it in the first place? Why don’t you think your major is the right fit? What changed? Did you just lose interest or be bored? I would suggest making a list of pros and cons of everything you love and don’t like about your major. 

2. Along with your list of pros and cons, find your course catalog and look at what classes your major requires. If you thrive in english and philosophy courses but your major requires over 50% of your classes to be maths and sciences, then I would reconsider. 

3. Can you see yourself in this career field 10 years from now? If the answer is no, then I would definitely rethink your choice of major. 

4. Talk to someone. Your advisors are there for a reason; don’t be afraid to reach out to them! They know a lot more about your prospective career field than you do, so ask them about it. They are (or should be) more than willing to help you figure things out because that is their job…to ADVISE. If you don’t want to go to your advisor right away, find an upperclassman who has been studying in your field and ask them about their experience. Maybe they’ll tell you about something you may not have thought of before. 

5. Lastly, don’t be afraid to do it. If you have a gut feeling that changing your major is what you’re supposed to do and you’ll be happier in the end, then just do it. Throw out all the thoughts of falling behind or feeling less than everybody else just because you are still trying to figure out your life. You do you! Do not let anyone else tell you otherwise. In the end it is your happiness that matters and I hope you always remember that.

If you’re looking for any more advice regarding switching your major or for advice about college in general, don’t be afraid to reach out! I am here to support you and help you out! xoxo

Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!