harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

2019 was a big year for me. I graduated from high school and moved to New York City to go to college. A lot of things have happened that have made me stronger and a better person. Here are just a few things I’ve learned from last year.

1. It’s Okay To Change Your Mind (multiple times)

Since starting at Manhattan College I’ve changed my major around five times. It would make me anxious every time I would do so because I never wanted to have no direction. I realized that having ‘no direction’ is sometimes a good thing and that can be extremely helpful in the long run.

2. Being Vulnerable

It’s hard to be vulnerable and open yourself up to people. After I turned 18, I fully took advantage of resources to finally open up about things that I have been holding in for a while. I was finally able to open up to my friends and create real, raw friendships.

3. Strength

Moving into college is a huge transition for anyone. At first, I was super anxious and wouldn’t leave my bed. After talking to my mom and close friends, they gave me the motivation I needed to be able to move forward.

4. Not Everyone Will Like You

Going into college you meet a ton of new people. It’s okay if not everyone is going to like you for you, you shouldn’t change yourself for the approval of someone else that isn’t good for you.

5. Take Time For Mental Health

It’s hard to live with mental illness and sometimes it gets too much. I learned I shouldn’t be embarrassed for canceling plans when I’m not feeling my best and needing to take time for myself. Self-care is extremely important when living on your own. You need to make time for yourself and to be able to be calm.

Bridget Turro

Manhattan '23

Bridget is a sophomore at Manhattan College. She is majoring in political science and minoring in woman and gender studies. She loves animals, traveling and exploring NYC.
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!