Wellness

Ways to Check-In Without Asking “How Are You?”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

When you are having a bad day, and someone asks, “How are you?” it might just set you off. It might not make you feel better and can almost make you feel worse. It might be easier to lie and say, “I’m good. How about you?” when really you are not okay. However, not being okay is okay!

Whether it might be to a friend, significant other, or family member, reaching out to loved ones is always important to check up on each other. Sometimes, people do not want to talk about things; they do not want to figure them out at the moment if they are in pain. It is normal to want to sit in the hurt of whatever they are going through. But when wanting to reach out to someone to talk them through what they are feeling, there are other ways to go about this.

“I miss you. I am always here.” 

It is always nice to hear when someone misses you. It means you matter to them and they are thinking about how they wish they were with you. Having the support of someone saying they are here for you feels very comforting. It means they really care and are here for the long haul.

“Do you need anything? I was just thinking about you.”

Hearing this makes you feel loved. I always say this when I go to the store or dining hall for my friends. I know that when someone asks this I can trust them because they care about my wants and needs. When someone says they are thinking about you, they stopped in their day and you crossed their mind. They are wondering about you and your wellbeing.

“How has your day been going?”

With this simple question, the receiver feels heard and wondered about. It makes you stop and think about the highs and lows of your day, forcing you to release any frustrations you might have had from the day. 

Reaching out to your loved ones is so important and doing it in a way that they know you care is just as predominant. It is good to have empathy and to try to see what people actually want to hear and how they want to be heard.

Angelica is so excited to be the leader of this chapter as Campus Correspondent at Her Campus at Manhattan! Originally from the Jersey Shore, Angelica is a senior at Manhattan College studying communication with a concentration in journalism and a minor in French. Angelica is also Features Editor of the campus newspaper The Quadrangle, Fashion and Beauty Editor of Lotus Magazine, and Secretary of Alpha Pi Phi Sorority. She currently interns at The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in the Brand and Customer Partnerships Department. You can hear Angelica hosting Soundtrack Sunshine, as she DJ’s for Manhattan College’s radio station WRCM. When she finds the time to breathe she likes to go for walks in Van Cortland Park, hang out at An Beal with friends, and watch her roomates dance at the basketball games. Angelica loves to write about anything from her deepest darkest feelings, trendiest clothes on sale, and hot button topics. She loves to share her experiences with all of you and hopes readers can take something from her insight. She encourages anyone with a story to tell to join Her Campus and take a chance on the best girl group in college! Happy reading :)
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!