This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Now that the world is starting to adjust to the new normal and vaccinations are readily available in the U.S., more gatherings and nights out are becoming more and more frequent. However, too many people feel the need to make up for the year that was “lost” during the pandemic by overscheduling themselves. Here are a few tips to follow for when next girls night out comes along, so you can avoid putting too much on your plate.

Prioritize: While going out every weekend may seem like a lot of fun, spending all day Sunday stressed over the assignments you waited until the last minute to complete is not. Make sure you prioritize your commitments and know that it is okay to say no sometimes. Your friends will understand!

Take time for yourself: Between classes, work, extracurriculars and balancing friendships, we all deserve some alone time! Make sure you put aside time for yourself to relax and destress. Whether it be working out, a spa day, or even just a nap, it is so important to have time to disassociate from everything and just be with yourself. 

Set aside free days and/or times: Having times and/or days dedicated to catching up on the “lost year” and making your friends aware of these times and days is a simple way to avoid overscheduling. This way your friends know when exactly you are available and can prevent planning gatherings when you are unavailable. 

As hard as it is to say no to hanging out with friends, especially after a year of isolation, saying yes to everyone and overscheduling will only cause more stress onto your already busy life as a college student. Always remember to prioritize your commitments and take time for yourself. Even if your friends are nagging you to join them, just be honest with them. You’ll thank me later.

Casey Schellberg

Manhattan '23

Casey is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Childhood Education with concentrations in math and psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, shopping, and exploring NYC. Casey is also a part of Manhattan’s cheerleading team and serves as an RA on campus. She is loving her home as a Jasper at MC and cannot wait to see what the upcoming years bring!
Jocelyn Visnov

Manhattan '24

Jocelyn is a communication major studying journalism and advertising at Manhattan College. She's the Editor-in-Chief for The Quadrangle Newspaper and previously served as a Creative Director and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Manhattan. Jocelyn aspires to pursue a career in advertising with a special interest in creative direction and campaigns. She is a passionate writer who is always on the go, but never without an iced coffee in hand!