This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

The coronavirus pandemic brought many hardships that we have had to overcome and are still overcoming as a society. One of them is wearing a mask to protect ourselves and others from the spread of COVID-19 and any other germs. Now that we have been wearing masks since March, they have become our new normal and something we don’t think about as much. However, there are times when our masks still get in our way. One of these times is during workouts. 

With gyms now reopening in all of New York, and at MC, people are going to start going back to their old gym routines and leaving behind their at-home workouts. In the gyms, and even outside when unable to socially distance, masks are required to be worn at all times. After a few weeks of working out in Van Cortlandt Park and practicing in Draddy Gymnasium myself, I have compiled a list of pros and cons to working out in a mask that many other New Yorkers will experience in the upcoming days. 

First up, some of the pros to working out in a mask include:

Keeping both yourself and others safe from the spread of COVID-19:

The reason behind the mask. Working out in a mask keeps yourself and those around you in the gym safe from spreading germs to each other. Wearing masks will allow the gyms to continue to be open while we are still battling this pandemic and help keep the positive testing rate low.

Having a constant reminder to control/watch your breathing:

Although one of the easiest things to do, I personally always forget to breathe when working out. Wearing a mask when working out has reminded me to control my breaths, something that is super important when exercising. 

After a few times, you get used to it:

Just like when we first started wearing masks in public, working out in a mask is going to take some time to get used to. I have done several workouts in my mask and I hardly even notice I have it on now. It will not be easy to adjust to, especially the breathing aspect as working out does require more focus on your breath, however, you will master it before you know it.

Next, some cons to working out in a mask:

Mentally challenging to keep yourself active:

The first time you work out with your mask on, it is going to be difficult. Many will find it so difficult and annoying that they will not come back to the gym. Wearing a mask while working out requires a good mentality to keep your eye on the goal and not the mask.

Requires patience:

Relating to the above con, working out with a mask on requires a lot of patience, especially in adjusting to it. Remember that the mask is meant to help yourself and others, not harm you. Try not to get flustered the first time you workout with one on, it will only get better.

Adjusting to the new normal this pandemic has put on our society has been difficult and continues to bring new challenges into our lives every day. Working out in a mask may be one of those, but with the right mentality and patience, it doesn’t have to be!

Casey Schellberg

Manhattan '23

Casey is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Childhood Education with concentrations in math and psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, shopping, and exploring NYC. Casey is also a part of Manhattan’s cheerleading team and serves as an RA on campus. She is loving her home as a Jasper at MC and cannot wait to see what the upcoming years bring!