This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Jana Clark

Rainy days can be a bummer when you have a whole day planned to go out and enjoy an afternoon with your best friend or significant other. However, I’m here to tell you that rainy days don’t always have to be a bad thing and you can still make the most of your day. Below I have provided a list of ideas for the next time you find yourself not knowing what to do when your plans get ruined by bad weather. 

Bowling/Arcade

One of my favorite dates to go on is bowling or spending an afternoon in an arcade. These not only protect you from the rain but are two fun and casual ways to get out of the house when you’re looking for a good time. You can’t go wrong with letting your competitive side show in a friendly game of air hockey or skee-ball. 

Museum/Gallery

Living in NYC, I am lucky enough to have hundreds of galleries and art museums to choose from that are just a train ride away. Even if you don’t live in the city, Google is your best friend when looking for any kind of museum or local gallery in your area. The MET is my favorite place to go when I feel like spending my rainy day getting lost in a room of incredible works of art. 

Take out & board games

An effortless but fun way to spend a rainy afternoon or night together is by ordering your favorite take-out and playing board games. Let your competitive side shine once again in a game of Monopoly or Scrabble and simply enjoy the time together with your partner. 

Dinner & a movie (either go out or stay in)

If you still want to get outside despite the weather, dinner and a movie might be your go-to plan for the night. You can either stay in for dinner and then go out for a movie or go out for both dinner and a movie if you want to make a whole night of it. 

Do Nothing.

Last but not least, do nothing. As strange as it may sound, sometimes the best way to spend time with your significant other is by simply doing nothing. It’s free and you don’t have to put in much effort. In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with spending an afternoon snuggled up in bed together to simply the presence of the other person there with you.

I hope my list of rainy day date ideas spark some inspiration if you’re ever stuck on ideas of what to do when the weather doesn’t turn out exactly as you planned. All that matters is that you enjoy your time with your significant other, whether that means doing nothing or going out for a new adventure. 

Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.