This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Kerry Sullivan

If you’re on the same side of TikTok as I am, you have probably seen hundreds of different affirmations floating around. Some people swear by them, some people think they’re ridiculous.

But regardless of your stance, they do exist. People use them to manifest good energy, curate a life they love, and release their positive vibes it into the universe.

For a long time, I’ll admit I thought that they were a little ridiculous. But since the universe has been treating me a little less kindly this past month, I have begun to use a daily affirmation as a reassurance that I am in control of my life, even if it doesn’t always feel like it.

Every morning when I use the bathroom after waking up, I take a quick moment to look in the mirror and say the following affirmation: “I am exactly who I need to be right now. What is meant to be will be.”

I love this affirmation because it serves as a reminder that I need to be there for myself above all, and all I can do is allow my life to run its course in the way that the universe sees fit.

Since starting to say this to myself each morning, I have noticed a significant change in my mental health. While September did not treat me with much kindness, I have come to learn I need to treat myself with kindness and prioritize my mental health above all else.

Between being a collegiate athlete, my classwork, other extra-curricular clubs and activities, and making time to relax and hang out with my friends, I have very little downtime to myself. This small moment at the beginning of every day has helped me to ground myself and serves as a reminder that I am exactly where I need to be at this moment in my life.

Life is hard, and sometimes we don’t always have someone by our side to tell us everything that we want to hear. That’s when it’s important to step up and tell ourselves what we want to hear.

An affirmation can help us adjust our mindset towards life, and can significantly improve our day.

Personally, saying my little affirmation to myself when I wake up has massively improved my mental health, especially during this difficult period in time. I feel more confident, and, generally speaking, happier. But, whether you think a daily affirmation is the end all be all, or just a hoax, at the end of the day, we all need to look in the mirror at least once and tell ourselves “I am enough.”

Kerry Sullivan

Manhattan '24

Kerry is a senior Communication Major with a concentration in Media Production and double minors in Film Studies and Women and Gender Studies at Manhattan College. She is from Buffalo, NY and is on Manhattan College's Rowing Team.