Wellness > Health

‘Magic Mushrooms’: Why You Should Be Taking Mushroom Dietary Supplements For Immune Support

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Angelica Niedermeyer

At college, everyone is always sick. With late nights out, loads of homework, and unhealthy eating habits, it can be impossible to stay healthy. Whether it is Covid-19, or a generic cold, college students everywhere are always sniffling and complaining about sore throats, especially in the colder months in New York City. My most recent solution: mushroom immune support supplements!

Mushrooms have always been used to help fight inflammation and balance the immune system, especially in Eastern cultures. This practice is called herbalism or phytotherapy and it is the study that plants are here to be used for therapy and medicine. Even though Western medicine is to be trusted and proven to work, there is no harm in looking elsewhere to add to your Vitamin C gummies and Zinc tablets to stay healthy and focused! 

Most mushroom dietary supplements come in vegetarian capsule bottles and can be found at your local grocery or health food stores. These capsules can be taken with or without food and even on an empty stomach. Even though these supplements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, after some research, the power of these antioxidant medicinal mushrooms can help fatigue, hormone imbalance and even your mood. They can also help calm anxiety, boost mental focus and your overall energy.

Interestingly enough, as stated in a 2019 article, “The Power of Medicinal Mushrooms”, medicinal mushrooms are not a new discovery. 

“(For the record, they are not the same as psychedelic – or “magic” – mushrooms; they will not make you high). And while they’re relatively new to North America, they’ve been used in Eastern medicine for centuries. Why are mushrooms so darn powerful? The answer may lie in their DNA.” Sandra Carter, founder of Om Mushrooms, points to the fact that mushroom DNA is more similar to mammals than plants.

Furthermore, Carter states, “It’s that similarity in DNA that really helps to activate a lot of the health and wellness properties beneficial to us.” 

So, a brand I trust to keep me healthy this semester is MyCommunity Host Defense Mushrooms.

Here is a list of 16 mushrooms to trust for comprehensive immune support that are all included in these two capsules taken daily: Chaga, Maitake, Reishi, Cordyceps, Royal Sun Blazei, Enokitake, Mesima, Turkey Tails, Oyster Mushroom, Lion’s Mane, Artist’s Conk, Agarikon , Amadou, Shiitake, Maritake, Birch Polypore.

Angelica is so excited to be the leader of this chapter as Campus Correspondent at Her Campus at Manhattan! Originally from the Jersey Shore, Angelica is a senior at Manhattan College studying communication with a concentration in journalism and a minor in French. Angelica is also Features Editor of the campus newspaper The Quadrangle, Fashion and Beauty Editor of Lotus Magazine, and Secretary of Alpha Pi Phi Sorority. She currently interns at The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in the Brand and Customer Partnerships Department. You can hear Angelica hosting Soundtrack Sunshine, as she DJ’s for Manhattan College’s radio station WRCM. When she finds the time to breathe she likes to go for walks in Van Cortland Park, hang out at An Beal with friends, and watch her roomates dance at the basketball games. Angelica loves to write about anything from her deepest darkest feelings, trendiest clothes on sale, and hot button topics. She loves to share her experiences with all of you and hopes readers can take something from her insight. She encourages anyone with a story to tell to join Her Campus and take a chance on the best girl group in college! Happy reading :)