galentine\'s day party
galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio
Wellness

It’s Okay to Love Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Hello Loves!

This little post is to remind you that you should always love yourself and it is not selfish to practice a wee bit of self care each day! Self care is important to our mental and physical health, so we should prioritize it as we do school work and going out on a Friday with our girls. Not so long ago my excuses would be that I don’t have the time or extra funds to “treat” myself everyday, but now I know both of those excuses are bs! I just needed to make it a priority, squeeze in the time and realize it doesn’t need to cost a fortune. Self care is not a luxury or selfish in any way. It’s a necessity that most people do not even realize until they experience burnout. Think of self care as a learning experience. Choose to love yourself and see your beauty instead of counting your flaws!

Time Tip: Find a gap in your google calendar or planner and block it out labeled “self care time”. I found that if I wrote it into my schedule then I had to complete it. As little as fifteen to thirty minutes a day works wonders!

Priority Tip: Make the time to take care of yourself! Whether it be waking up a little bit earlier or saying no to extra unnecessary commitments, you can find time. My personal goal this year is to learn to say no or accept help when it is offered to me for my extra commitments. 

Below I will leave a list of a few of my favorite self care activities if you need ideas to get started:

• Beach walk or run

• Books, Brunch & Baths

• Buy a bouquet of flowers for your room

• Facemask before bed

• Facetime an old friend

• Go get a latte or ice cream cone with your best friend

• Go outside and enjoy the scenery

• Nap

• Pinterest 

• Put towels in the dryer before a bath or shower

• Setting boundaries (Saying no or going to bed when your body is tired.)

• Spend time with a loved one with no distractions

• Tea chat with a loved one/friend

• Watch your favorite movie without guilt

• Workout (yoga or spin)

Self care is not a luxury or selfish. It’s a necessity for your physical & mental health.  Practicing self care often, even if it’s fifteen minutes a day is more beneficial than a couple of hours every month. It doesn’t need to cost a fortune. Journal, take a walk in a new town or do a short yoga routine.  I’m the type of person that I can’t just sit and meditate or watch Netflix when I know there’s 10 other things I should be doing. Ever since I was little my mind would run at 100 mph if i just sat in silence during class mediation or before falling asleep.

Love yourself. Choose to see your beauty and not your flaws.

Dayna McGinley

Manhattan '22

Dayna is an Accounting & Marketing double major. She's an Irish girl who loves everything lilly, beachy & especially pearls!
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!