If You Don’t Like Donald Trump, You Don’t Have to Slut Shame His Wife

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

There has been a lot of buzz concerning our new President-elect Donald Trump. The mixed feelings have led to plenty of riots, protests, and general debates among the American people. As much as we disagree on Donald Trump, his policies and his behavior, his wife Melania Trump has been getting slut-shamed left and right in the passing of this huge mess.

Her past naked modeling shoots have resurfaced on the Internet in the wake of the election as a type of negative consequence to Donald Trump’s victory.

We must be above the situation. People are allowed to make personal choices that concern their body. Melania made the conscious decision to partake in that modeling and show her body in whichever way she wants. To shame her decisions and her body would be doing what Trump has done his entire campaign to people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, women and Muslims.

We can judge her on copying Michelle Obama’s speech and the mistake she made there. However, to belittle her for just her decisions that are clearly sexual implies that there is nothing more to her. She can speak speak six languages fluently and has built a tremendous career for herself through modeling.

The next four years will unravel itself in unexpected and interesting ways, but we must rise above and remember what America needs: To reserve our judgements on the decision’s people make with their body and not make it political, but rather a given right which is what we hope Trump will do despite his past words.