This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Kerry Sullivan

Exam season is always stressful, no matter what your major is. It can be so hard to balance studying, writing papers, and finishing projects on top of keeping up with your mental health. It’s important that we acknowledge that even during stressful times we should always prioritize our mental health and well-being. Here are some of the ways we can practice self care, even on a busy schedule.

1. Exercise

One of my favorite ways to de-stress and take my mind off of things is to work out. Working out is proven to release endorphins, which in turn can lower stress levels. Something as simple as going for a walk on the treadmill and watching an episode of a TV show can help you destress. Personally, I find that a good way to blow off steam is lifting weights, but the gym can definitely be a foreboding place to be so it is totally up to your own level of comfort. If you’d rather, a walk, jog, or hike is always a good way to get your steps in.

1. Skincare

I really enjoy doing skincare, especially facemasks. I find that it can be really relaxing to put on a facemask and relax. You can totally make this a night in with friends, and put on some trashy reality TV while your skin is getting some well deserved TLC. Keeping a consistent skin care can also boost your overall mental health, and get rid of that pesky acne that can make us feel so self conscious. 

1. Take a Break

While this one might seem obvious, but when you’ve been cramped in the library, staring at your computer screen and books for the past three hours, taking a break seems like heaven. I recommend that when you take a break, you remove yourself from the environment you’re studying in, even if it’s just to move from your desk to your bed. Do something that is completely unrelated to your studying, whether it’s watching a movie, reading a book, or just scrolling through TikTok or Instagram.

1. Get Some Sleep

Honestly, the best advice I could give is to make sure that you get plenty of sleep, even more so during exam season. The best way to rest your body and your mind is to get an adequate amount of sleep each night. Being well rested is the easiest way to be prepared for an exam, and typically late night studying won’t help you actually memorize information. 

No matter how you choose to study, make sure you keep you mental health in check during this stressful time. Good luck on all your midterms. You got this.

Kerry Sullivan

Manhattan '24

Kerry is a senior Communication Major with a concentration in Media Production and double minors in Film Studies and Women and Gender Studies at Manhattan College. She is from Buffalo, NY and is on Manhattan College's Rowing Team.