This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

I’ll be honest, it feels like all I’m ever doing is doing something, and if I get a moment of downtime, I feel guilty for not doing the work I know I have. This fall 2023 semester has been my most mentally exhausting semester yet, with student teaching, being in a sorority, editing for Her Campus at Manhattan, participating in multiple honors societies, and working as a tour guide. Looking at my Google Calendar makes my anxiety 10 times higher for the day when I realize how little time I actually have for myself and my friends. 

I met with one of my professors this semester and he told me it was clear that I was on the brink of burnout. It’s hard not to be when school and life cumulate into the last year of your college career. Feeling overwhelmed by the school while simultaneously wanting to make the most of your senior year in college is extremely frustrating. How can I go out on a Thursday when I have to wake up at 5:45 a.m. the next day? Am I missing out on core memories with my closest friends by fulfilling all the requirements I have? How can I constantly do everything everybody asks me to? I’m still figuring out the answers to these questions, but all I can do is try my best.

Operate on Business Hours

Something I’ve done for the past couple of years in college is “clocking in and out” each day. Metaphorically of course. I set a time for myself when school work begins and ends, and after a certain time, usually five p.m., I “clock out” from schoolwork for the day. This is especially important this semester while I’m student teaching. My cooperating teacher told me that if you bring work home with you then you’ll grow to resent coming to work. Now this isn’t always feasible with larger assignments or studying for exams, but I’ve found I feel the most productive and content when I finish smaller homework assignments, or parts of a larger one, before dinner. Then, I have time to spend cooking dinner, hanging out with my roommates, scrolling through TikTok, or reading a book. Pushing off homework until 10 p.m. is something I tend to do, so setting these hours aside can help hold you accountable.

Take an Hour For Yourself

One of my education professors told me that the best way to stay strong when you’re stressed is to dedicate one hour per day to something that makes you happy. This is a time just for you, not to be spent with friends, roommates, or partners. Being around other people can be great, but it can also be mentally draining. You can read a book, watch a show or movie you love, scroll on your phone, go for a walk, or anything else that helps you decompress from a long day.

Remember Extracurriculars are Fun

Sometimes the extracurriculars in college can start to feel like a chore. It’s important to remember you joined these clubs or activities to have fun and meet people. When they start to feel like the opposite or become a burden, it’s important to take a step back and remember it’s OK to not attend every event or meeting. If an activity or organization is taking a toll on your mental health, it’s necessary to assess why you feel that way, and if it’s worth continuing. 

Treat Yourself Once in a While

I’m an avid believer in the phrase “Friday treat.” Having something to look forward to makes the week feel rewarding, rather than a constant repetition of exhaustion. Whether it be ordering dinner out, getting Starbucks, baking cookies, or watching a movie you love, it’s so fulfilling to reward yourself, especially at the end of a long week. You need that push to get you through the week and put a smile on your face after the stressful days.

Do the Things That Matter

The most difficult part of feeling burnt out as a senior is knowing you will regret not doing certain things. It’s important not to let your stress or guilt for not doing work get in the way of making the most of your college experience. Maybe you don’t need to go to every party on campus but try to attend the things that you’ll most regret not going to. Maybe there’s a super fun party theme you’ll feel upset about not dressing up for. Maybe there’s a seniors-only event where you’ll get to see other students in your grade. Maybe it’s your last time to go to an event that you look forward to every year. I know I feel worse when I know I’m missing out on something. Burnout and FOMO combined can take a toll on your mental state. 

Overall, senior year is a stressful time for everyone, especially with the impending job hunt and graduation. In the end, it’s important to make the most of your last year, even though burnout is inevitable. Try your best to push through and remember to make this year one you’ll look back on happily!

Mackenzie Boyce

Manhattan '24

Mackenzie is the Senior Editor for Her Campus at Manhattan, and loves being able to read and edit the chapter’s articles before they are published. Mackenzie is a senior at Manhattan College studying childhood and special education with concentrations in English and French. She is originally from Connecticut but loves having the opportunity to live in NYC for school. Mackenzie is also a member of the sorority Sigma Delta Tau on campus. She is also part of the education honors society, Kappa Delta Pi, and French honors society, Pi Delta Phi. She is also an admissions ambassador and can be spotted around campus giving tours to incoming students. She is also currently completing her student teaching this semester in fifth and first-grade classrooms at a local Bronx elementary school. Mackenzie loves having the ability to use writing as an outlet, whether that means writing about fashion, music, pop culture, or mental health. She is so thankful to have found a home with Her Campus at Manhattan and hopes anyone reading can gain knowledge or inspiration from her work.