College Women Freeze Eggs
College Women Freeze Eggs
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Deal with a Yeast Infection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Yeast infections….ugh let’s face it, they SUCK, and there’s no way to sugarcoat it. But sadly, almost every woman will have one at least once in their lives. However, an estimated 53% of women who have never had a yeast infection before have said that they wouldn’t know what to do if they got one, or even what causes them. So let’s start with the basics. Yeast infections are caused by an overgrowth of bacterial yeast, even if it’s the natural and healthy kind, in the vaginal area. The technical and scientific term for yeast infections is “candidiasis.” They can be caused by a variety of things, including antibiotics, hormonal imbalance, or using a soap or cream that just doesn’t react well with you. 

Fortunately, yeast infections are not fatal, and can go away within a couple days. More than anything, they’re just really uncomfortable. But there are many ways to deal with them, and they don’t even involve a visit to the doctor. There are over the counter medications that have been widely successful, Monistat probably being the most popular and well of these. They involve a certain amount of applications involved in a day. Most of these over the counter medications have had a pretty good amount of success over the years. When using this though, make sure to follow the directions carefully and complete your treatment, because if not, the infection could come back! 

There are also many other things you can do for yeast infections to make them go away in a few days. There is the one very basic one, which is to make sure you’re always wearing clean and simple cotton underwear. Another helpful one is actually to eat yogurt. Yogurt contains lots of good probiotics that can make the yeast infection go away! You should also avoid having sex probably for about a week, as this can irritate it more. Most of all, whatever you do, resist the urge to itch! Even though it’s extremely difficult, it will be very beneficial in making it go away faster. Overall, even though yeast infections are a pain, there are multiple solutions that can make them better. If you have frequent yeast infections, talk to your doctor. There may be another problem going on causing it. 

Molly Prior

Manhattan '21

Molly Prior is a senior at Manhattan College studying communications and journalism. With a passion for women's empowerment and lifestyle, she hopes to write for a magazine such as Cosmopolitan or Women's Health.