This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Midterm: the time of the year that is dreaded by every single college student, but not dreaded as much as Finals week. All of my friends seem to get worked up about the “Midterm Grade” that professors post on Self-Service, but for some reason, I really don’t seem to care about it as much.

Coming from someone who is a complete nerd and stresses out when she doesn’t have assignments done, I am telling you in all honesty that the midterm grade on Self-Service does not define your semester.

Yes, of course, if the grade is not where you want it to be, you have every right to be disappointed, but don’t stress. These midterm grades don’t count for anything and they are only there to depict to you what your semester grade would look like if the world ended tomorrow and classes were done (which we all know, it won’t!).

Midterms can be such a hectic and stressful time, and I am here to share with you how I have managed to get through the dreaded season of midterms :)

1. Make sure you aren’t skipping your precious snooze time.

Sleep is extremely important to your health. Without enough sleep, your immune system becomes vulnerable to bacteria and viruses that always go around during midterm season. Make a conscious effort to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night for these next two weeks.

2. Going to the gym actually helps you feel less stressed!

Yes, I know what you are going to say. “I barely have time to sleep. How do you think I can fit the gym into my schedule?” I know it sounds hard, and you may need to cut out that 30-minute nap in the afternoon, but the benefits of exercise during stressful times definitely outweigh that nap, I promise. Exercising releases hormones that make you feel good and keep your immune system functioning at a high level. It also relieves stress, which we all know, we NEED during these next two weeks.

3. Don’t forget to make time to take care of YOU.

I cannot stress this enough. Yes. Midterms are extremely important, but they are not worth it compared to your mental and physical well-being. Instead of studying for another hour, take a break and take care of yourself. Take a hot shower, maybe do a facemask, have a snack, even have a glass of you-know-what.

4. Stay Social.

I am famous for this. When midterms come around, I go into full hibernation mode and barely speak to anyone, unless it is completely necessary. I have made a conscious effort to not do this. Now that I am at a new school, and I genuinely love the people that surround me, there is no good reason to hide during midterms. This is the time when you need your friends the most to get you through the 2 am freak-outs, lack of sleep, and just for that simple, “you can do it” when you so desperately need it.

5. A Midterm grade is not the end of the world. I promise.

Although that midterm grade might not be what you expected or worked for, there is still half of a semester to get it to where you want it to be. Just remember to stay positive, work your butt off, and everything will fall into place ☺

Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!