This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Barack Obama once said, “The issue with climate change is one that we ignore at our own peril.” Climate change is a reality in our day and time. As a New Yorkers we are fortunate enough to experience all four seasons, and I must say this past year we have been experiencing what I like to call “global weirding”. Global weirding refers to the earth’s weather pattern that is moving in directions that differ from its normal. In fact, the emissions of greenhouse gasses allows the sun’s heat to directly hit the earth causing global weirding. How am I able to tell? We saw this first hand this past autumn; the leaves were falling without even changing color. The season of autumn is now warmer than usual. This past winter New York was not cold enough for snow; in fact, we experienced more rain than snow. Summer days are also unbearably hot. We should be aware of our ecological footprints and make adjustments to our lifestyle to further guarantee that  the world will be in great shape for generations to come. What can you do to promote the deceleration of climate change?

1. Sustainable Development Goals

The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are made up of seventeen goals that are universal in order to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity. Go ahead and check out The United Nations website and familiarize yourself with the SDGs.

2. Refrain from using Plastic

Think before using plastic bags. You do not need a plastic bag to carry that one item that you can carry another way. Plastic is really dangerous for our ecosystem because it is not biodegradable. The plastic that you used today will not decompose until the next 450 years or more.  Moreover, as plastic is also made up of chemicals that affects the atmosphere when the sun hits it. I highly recommend you invest in a reusable hot and cold tumbler for coffee and water.

3. Think Before Trashing

Food waste is a major contribution to climate change. First off, food waste is a major problem in general. Food waste gets collected and dumped into landfills. Overtime, methane is produced from the decomposing food further hurting our atmosphere. So the next time you are at a buffet take a portion you know for sure you will eat. Try not to buy in bulks of groceries if you’re living alone chances are you are not home all the time to cook. Try donating goods that are sitting at the backs of your cupboards.

4. Research

There is so much more that you can do to combat climate change. In our day and age climate change is a reality, and I urge you to do your research and educate loved ones around you. Instead of leaving our ecological footprints for our grandkids to clean up let’s maintain our home.

Hi everyone! My name is Parveen Rampersaud and I was born and raised in the Bronx. I am a Junior at Manhattan College as a Political Science major. I really enjoy yoga and reading new books. I love discovering new cafe's and experiencing the authenticity the owner was able to portray in decor! I can't wait to read the great articles written by all of you. ~XO
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!