Finals Week As Told By Taylor Swift’s Blank Space Music Video

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

In a world where grapes are irresponsibly mislabeled as seedless when they aren’t, and Netflix’s only watch-instantly Hilary Duff movie is Cadet Kelly, it is unfortunately proven that all that glitters isn’t gold.

You’re in college, how can life not be great? The biggest thorn in that rose will forever be finals week, and Taylor’s music video gives a glimpse of the temporary insanity that a student endures during this time.

Despite the efforts of teachers, who try to dampen that happiness by bringing up finals too early, you have felt surprisingly relaxed about the whole thing. After all, the plan you had in the beginning of the year to get all A’s hasn’t fallen apart at all! *shoulder shrug*

Like Christmas, finals week surrounds the air as the days inch closer and closer. There’s slight panic, but it’s just the calm before the storm, nothing to be too worried about.

As realization slowly hits, panic and stress are quickly suppressed and pushed away, to temporarily avoid the reminder of the mental, physical, and emotional pain that is soon to be endured.

Eventually, the time comes where you physically cannot shrug your shoulders anymore.

You curse your teachers and suddenly realize all of the readings you haven’t gotten around to this semester.

After the long sighs and the eye rolling, you figure you should meet with some kids in your class. You imagine the experience as being educational and fun, like the Bill Nye science videos.

Quickly disappointed, you find they aren’t remotely helpful.

Once you do settle in a library couch, your inbox fills with texts asking if you are still alive. Airplane mode is the only hope you have for keeping your sanity when trying to retain information.

As the week progresses, the stress-induced meltdowns do too. It gets to the stage of stress where you simply can not shake it off.

Although there isn’t an exact calculated number, after repeatedly reading the same passage for “literally the thousandth time”, table-flipping is considered.

With meltdown mode in full swing, your significant other tries not to fuel the fire.

Their usual (and smartest) tactic involves pulling out the chips, cookies, popcorn, and candy.

After your last cake slice, you get yourself together, and start the cram-studying process.

On the golden day that you finish your last final, you embody the hair-flip emoji as you walk through campus to nap like a bear on a red-eye flight to Alaska.

As for the night of, wearing comfortable shoes is necessary for sprinting away from anyone who tries using academic related conversation starters.

Tasia (pronounced tuh-see-yuh... yes, like the greeting "good to see ya") Adamakos is a Sophomore at Manhattan College, majoring with a journalism concentration, and minoring in English. Potbelly pig enthusiast, and a firm believer on women drinking Jack Daniels over vodka sodas, she constantly dreams of living in Manhattan to be a famous food writer (which would hopefully entail more eating than writing). Follow her on instagram @tasia_adamakos