This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Now a month into the semester, you have probably noticed that college food is not all that great. You may luck out some days in Lockes, but most of the time it’s the same bland food you had yesterday and the day before. Unfortunately, we have to suck it up as going out is expensive and there is only so much equipment available to use to cook in the dorms. However, there are several recipes that you can find that only require a few ingredients, a mug, and a microwave. 

Breakfast

Personally, I think breakfast is Locke’s best meal, but if you have a different opinion, there are a few great breakfast foods you can cook in the microwave. One of these meals is pancakes! I would have never thought of it, but with just a few ingredients in your mug, you can make pancakes right in your dorm room! Another more popular mug breakfast recipe is an omelet. It does not get simpler than cracking two eggs in a mug and adding the extras of your choice! Lastly, you can go to your local convenience store and pick up a package of oatmeal. Just substitute the bowl for a mug and you’ve got another convenient and easy breakfast recipe to make without leaving your room!

Lunch & Dinner

If you are looking for a cheaper meal alternative for lunch or dinner than purchasing some takeout, look no further. Although these recipes take more ingredients than the breakfast one, they are just as simple to make! One of the mug recipes you can make is mac-and-cheese, requiring only macaroni, cheese, and milk. This makes it an easy way to take a break from the dining hall for a meal! A second recipe you can make in a mug is lasagna. This recipe can be really basic, or you can add vegetables and/or meat to meet your desires. 

Dessert 

Lastly, there are several desserts you can make in a mug! These recipes are more well known and my personal favorite (especially when I have late-night cravings). For all of the dessert recipes, all you need are your basic baking ingredients. My go-to is the chocolate chip cookie, but there are also brownie and cake recipes you can follow just as easily.

So next time you go into Locke’s and find nothing you’d like to eat, try one of these simple recipes!

Casey Schellberg

Manhattan '23

Casey is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Childhood Education with concentrations in math and psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, shopping, and exploring NYC. Casey is also a part of Manhattan’s cheerleading team and serves as an RA on campus. She is loving her home as a Jasper at MC and cannot wait to see what the upcoming years bring!
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!