College Anxiety As Told By “Les Misérables”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

We all know it’s that point in the semester. Here are some of the most anxiety-provoking moments in college described by lyrics in “Les Misérables”:

That terrifying moment when you realize you’ve overslept and missed a test:

“What have I done? Sweet Jesus, what have I done?” (from Valjean’s Soliloquy)

When you find yourself alone at the library at 3 AM with hours of work left to do:

“Have I fallen so far and is the hour so late that nothing remains but… the cries in the dark that nobody hears?” (from Valjean’s Soliloquy)

When you’re nearly falling over because you’re so tired but you still have to study:

“Keep on working ‘til you drop!” (from At the End of the Day)

That moment when the teacher forgets to collect the homework and you contemplate bringing it up:

“Why should I right this wrong when I have come so far and struggled for so long?” (from Who Am I?)

When you wake up at 7:54 for your 8 AM class and look like a gremlin:

“Can I conceal myself for evermore?” (from Who Am I?)

When you’re cramming and realize you don’t have nearly enough time to cover everything you need to:

“How fast the minutes fly away and every minute colder…” (from Fantine’s Death)

When someone changes seats for no apparent reason and feels the need to sit right next to you:

“Yesterday I was alone, today you are beside me…” (from Suddenly)

That amazing moment when you get the “Class Cancelled” e-mail:

“Suddenly the world seems a different place, somehow full of grace, full of light!” (from Suddenly)

When your anxiety kicks in right before a major test:

“The time is near, so near it’s stirring the blood in their veins.” (from ABC Café/ Red and Black)

When someone tries to start a conversation with you but you can’t seem to form a coherent sentence:

“What’s the matter with you, [insert your name]? Have you been too much on your own?” (from In My Life)

When someone tries to bring up the events of that one really sloppy night:

“No more words, no more words, it’s a time that is dead. There are words that are better unheard, better unsaid.” (from In My Life)

Sitting in your 8 AM and your teacher’s monotone voice couldn’t possibly be any more unbearable:

“Every word that he says is a dagger in me.” (from In My Life)

Math class:

“I’m doing everything all wrong… Oh God.” (from A Heart Full of Love)

When you know that the test will be impossible and you have to say a little prayer:

“God on high, hear my prayer. In my need, you have always been there…” (from Bring Him Home)

That confusing moment when your teacher tells you you don’t have to do the homework for the next class:

“Who is this man? What sort of devil is to have me caught in a trap and choose to let me go free?” (from Javert’s Suicide)

When you have to do a full day of classes and tests after an all-nighter:

“There’s a grief that can’t be spoken. There’s a pain goes on and on.” (from Empty Chairs at Empty Tables)