This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

In today’s day and age, people are constantly online. They are consumed by the bright screen of their phones or laptops, and drawn in by constant scrolling day and night. Some people might call this scrolling an addiction, but I believe it is just the norm of today. However, researchers have found extreme benefits to taking a break or deleting social media altogether.

According to Intermountain Health, people who have deleted social media have found an increase in their day-to-day moods. Social media has been connected to increased levels of depression and decreasing the amount of time on these types of apps can lead to less chance of developing depression. Going along with having a better mood, Intermountain Health also mentions that less social media makes you less self-aware of what other people are doing or thinking. This can cause higher levels of self-esteem because you are not constantly worried about if other people are judging you. I think this is one of the most important reasons people should consider a social media cleanse. After watching everyone else’s lives on Instagram and Snapchat, people might feel self-conscious about their own lives and what they are doing. When you take this self-consciousness out of the equation, it lets you lead a healthier and more carefree lifestyle.

One of the most important benefits that deleting social media will give you is a better sleep schedule. Self.com says that the light of your phone has a direct correlation to the hormone in your brain that is responsible for allowing you to fall asleep. If you aimlessly scroll on TikTok or Instagram before bed, this might be why you are having trouble sleeping! In addition to sleeping, although it may seem strange, decreasing your time on social media can actually allow you to relax more. Most people find the act of scrolling in silence to be relaxing, however, by constantly looking at your screen, you are never actually allowing your brain to rest. When you turn your phone off and focus on yourself rather than what other people are doing, your brain can truly turn off and calm down.

One more benefit of deleting social media is that it allows you to focus more on your friendships and real-life interactions. One of the main reasons people spend so much time on social media is because they are constantly liking posts and messaging people over the internet. In reality, you may not even know these people! There is more of a focus on what Kim Kardashian is doing than what your friend did over the weekend. By spending so much time interacting with people online, you start to lose your interactive skills in regards to talking to people in real life. These interactive skills are crucial for day-to-day life, and if lost, there can be extreme consequences and stunts in your social growth. 

In short, next time you think about grabbing your phone and scrolling through other people’s lives, try and focus on your own. Go for a walk, read a book, or even hang out with your friends. You will probably have a better time with them than you will immersing yourself in the online actions of others.

Fiona Dunkel

Manhattan '26

Hi, I'm Fiona! I am a Psychology major and a hopeful future Psychiatrist. I am an undergrad at Manhattan College from Albany, NY. I live with my parents, a little sister named Charlotte, and a dog named Cassie. I am an avid crime show watcher and romance reader. I LOVE coffee and going to little cafes around the city to try out different drinks. I used to play very competitive soccer but stopped due to injury and now my hobbies include spending money on very expensive skincare products and buying overpriced iced lattes. I hope to study abroad within the next two years to be able to broaden my view of the world and learn more about different cultures! My dream is to go to Spain and watch a professional soccer game. My passion for writing started when I was in 3rd grade. I was constantly reading books of all genres and lengths and I wondered if I could write my own. I wrote little songs and mystery "novels," short stories, and poems whenever I could. In the sixth grade, I was recognized for my efforts and one of my poems was to be in a gallery at a nearby college. It jumpstarted my love for writing and ever since then I have constantly written down my thoughts, as well as written and published a book for my English class which was very exciting! I love writing about just about anything, especially when it comes to female empowerment and things I am interested in!