This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

I usually take the products I use on a daily basis for granted. But there are certain beauty/skin care products that I seriously couldn’t live without. I’m sure if I didn’t use these (or never tried them), I might look like an ogre. So, without further ado, here are the products I just absolutely can’t live without.

1. Rapid Lash

This is the Holy Grail for me. I used to have little nubby eyelashes and after a few months of using this stuff, I actually had people asking me if I got eyelash extensions.  All you have to do is put it on before you go to bed, just like eyeliner. It is clear and shiny when applied, but will be absorbed by the time you wake up. You will start to notice a serious difference in about six weeks. This product is $30 on Amazon, but I got two for $50 at Costco, so it’s worth a shot. I would pay $100 on this – seriously. It works. 

2. Foreo Luna Mini

I’ve only used this for about a month, but I can honestly say that this little device has made such a positive impact on my skin. For those ladies with more sensitive skin, this might be the thing for you. It makes you smooth! The Foreo has silicone bristles, so it’s anti-bacterial and easy to clean. It’s super gentle, and has two speeds to match up with your needs. It’s super cute, small, perfect for travelling, and you only have to charge it twice a year! Price: $139 at Sephora.

3. Clairsonic Mia 2

Okay, so I thought I would include the Clairsonic on here because while I had it, it was really great. Pros: It’s the deepest clean you’ll ever get on your face, ever. It makes it so products can really get into your skin and you’ll get the full benefit out of them. It is very important to exfoliate so we can get rid of dead skin cells that can clog pores. Be aware that this is a very intense exfoliation. There are two speeds, but you may break-out the first couple of times you use this. It brings all the “bad stuff” to the surface. Give it time. The Foreo, in my opinion, is much gentler.

Cons: The Clairsonic is expensive ($149). You will have to change the brushes every 2-3 months ($27 a pop) and you have to charge it about once every two weeks. Mine broke a few months ago so I wanted to try something new, hence why I purchased the Foreo Luna Mini. But for the two years I had this device, it was a godsend. It’s worth the money if you have it and there is a two-year warranty. 

4.Philosophy Turbo Booster C Powder

This sh*t is amazing. If you are looking for an even skin tone, this is what will help. Vitamin C is amazing when you need to even everything out. I, by all means, do not have perfect skin. I have acne and hyperpigmentation from said acne, so my self-confidence gets a little wounded when I see all the damage my skin problems have caused. The first time I used this, I saw a difference in my skin tone. It brightens everything up and makes my skin all tingly. It is important to note that vitamin C as a serum can lose its effectiveness (and freshness). The great thing about this product is that it comes in powder form and you can mix it with any moisturizer or serum that you want which will keep the vitamin fresh. It is advised to put it on in the morning and works great with sunscreen (which you should always wear). This product has almost perfect reviews and the only bad ones are saying that it is “messy” (it comes with a little spoon and you’ll have to mix it in the palm of your hand). But, beauty is sacrifice and this is a sacrifice worth making.  Price: $39 at Sephora.

5. The Original Beauty Blender

I used to think I could get away with buying any old sponge and applying makeup, but I was wrong. The beauty blender is amazing. First of all, if you want an “airbrushed” look, then this is what you want. When applying foundation, it is really good to stipple it on instead of rubbing it on with your hands. This can create micro abrasions and make your skin flake off (ew!). So, by using the sponge, we can pat on our foundations, concealer, and even setting powder. You can build on your coverage, and apply what you need instead of caking it on. There are all different sizes of the beauty blender, but I tend to stick to the original. The teardrop shape makes concealer easy and you can use the smaller end to really get into the area around your eyes.  You should wash it about once a week (or more). I just rub it along a Dove bar, squeeze it out, and then dry it with a clean towel. When you use it, make sure it is damp. I would recommend replacing it after six to eight weeks, but if you keep it really clean, by all means keep it longer. It is amazing.  Price: $20 at Sephora.

6. Makeup Forever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation

I have been using this foundation for years and it had never failed me. It doesn’t clog my pores; it looks great, and actually shows some imperfections (which I like). If you want more coverage, put more on! It was designed to be photographed well, so there is no SPF in this foundation (SPF can make us look more pale in photographs, especially with flash). Ensure you wear your sunscreen under this if it’s a bright day! I don’t know if I would recommend this for people with oily skin as it is not necessarily a matte foundation. However, that could easily be fixed with a matte setting powder. All I can say is that it looks natural and it is light. I never look like I’m wearing too much.  Price: $43 at Sephora.

7. Dr. Brandt Skincare – Pores No More

This is the best primer for those who want to smooth out their skin texture. Like I said, my skin is far from perfect. Acne took a toll on my cheeks, but this product helps with my skin texture problems. It is a matte primer and you don’t need a lot to get the effects. After moisturizer, stipple on, let dry, and then apply foundation. It makes your makeup look flawless.  Price: $15 at Sephora.

8. Benetint Cheek and Lip Stain

This wonderful product is from Benefit Cosmetics. This cheek and lip stain is so natural and lasts all day. I have been also using this for years. It gives you a very natural flush and is easy to use (the applicator is like a nail polish brush). It is perfect for a “no makeup” look.  If you want a more intense look, apply a thin layer on your lips, let it dry and keep applying. It is lipstick that’ll never smudge!  Price: $30 at Sephora.

Voila! There you have it: the things I just cant live without. I know, I know – they’re all a bit pricey. But, quality is always worth it. It’s better to get the most out of your makeup and your money  I can honestly say that all of these products last a pretty long time as well.  Sometimes, the most rewarding thing we can do for ourselves is boost our own self-confidence and invest in the products that make us happy.

Alex is a Junior at Manhattan College studying Marketing and Psychology. She likes good movies, good music, great friends, and long walks on the beach. Enjoy ~~~