This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

During my time in college, I have adapted habits that have been extremely beneficial with my success in classes. I have gathered a list of the six of the most beneficial habits that I have developed. If you make these changes you will see your grade increase.

1. Get organized

This is the key to succeeding in your classes. Get a weekly planner that has to-do lists. Write any test and quizzes that are coming up. Each class should have a separate binder or notebook. Sharing a notebook for a class can begin to get confusing. 

2. Take notes before class

If your professor posts PowerPoints online, it is a good idea to write notes before the class. This will allow you to formulate any questions you may have on the material beforehand and give you a background on the material that will be covered in class.

3. Handwrite your notes

When you handwrite your notes, you are more likely to obtain the information then when you type your notes on the computer. When you are on your computer, you’re most likely going to be tempted to get distracted by texting and checking social media.

4. Learn your study style

Everyone learns material differently. Whether you are a visual, auditory, or kinesthetic learner, it is important that you learn the specific style that works best for you. 

5. Don’t cram your studying in

Having good study habits is key to succeeding in a class. An important study habit to develop is beginning to review exam material well in advance and periodically. You need to give yourself time to actually absorb the material.

6. Don’t be afraid to reach out to people!

If you’re not understanding the material being covered in the class, it’s important that you reach out to someone. Whether it is your friend who took the class, someone who is in the class currently, your professor, or a tutor, you need to seek help. There is no harm in asking questions when you are unsure about something!

There is no better feeling than working hard in a class and all the work showing at the end of the semester when grades come out! If you begin to develop these habits, they will definitely show in your grades. It is time consuming and not easy, but hard work always pays off in the end!

Madison Doyle

Manhattan '21

Madison Doyle is in her sophomore year at Manhattan College and majoring in Kinesiology with a minor in Psychology. She is expected to graduate in 2021. She is studying to become a physical therapist. In her spare time she enjoys hanging out with friends, spending time with her family, and going to the gym. Madison is also interested in fashion and works a clothing store on weekends. Madison loves to being apart of the school spirit as she is a cheerleader for Manhattan College and is in the Kinesiology honor society, Phi Epsilon Kappa.
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!