alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Awesome Ways to Use Coconut Oil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

1. Cook

This might seem obvious, but since many people use coconut oil for different things, I felt like this needed to be on the list! Coconut oil is the best thing to fry French toast with. Use this oil to give anything a “sweet” kick without the sugar. 

2. Makeup Remover

I use coconut oil every single night to take off my makeup. It’s super moisturizing and will get everything off. Just take a little bit out of the container and gently rub your face in small circular motions. Wipe the excess off with a paper towel (gently) or just wash your face to get the excess off! I also use this to remove my eye makeup. It is also amazing for that purpose, but be careful not to get it in your eyes! You won’t be able to see correctly for a few minutes. 

3. Body Moisturizer

I swear by this oil as a replacement for lotion. After a shower, moisturize with coconut oil! You will wake up with the softest skin you have ever felt. It doesn’t feel oily once it absorbs and will leave your skin silky.

4. Under-Eye Moisturizer

Don’t want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on under-eye cream? Don’t! Just grab a bit of coconut oil and gently pat underneath your eyes for the same effect. You will never have dry skin under your eyes again.

5. Leave-In Conditioner

If you’re having trouble with dry ends (or dry, brittle hair in general), coconut oil may be the answer. Cover your hair with the oil, put it in a bun, and put a towel or shower cap over your hair. If you want to get the most benefit out of this, keeping it in over-night would be the best. But, if you only have a few hours, that’ll do! After it has soaked into the hair, just shampoo and style as normal. Your hair will be repaired. 

6. Oil Pulling

If you want whiter teeth, you may want to try this. Oil pulling is just a very natural way to detox the body. It does whiten teeth, help with skin conditions, and just generally purify. You just take about a spoonful of coconut oil (you can use other oils, but this one tastes the best), and you swish it around in your mouth for 20 minutes. That seems long, but if you do this in the morning, you can easily oil pull while getting ready for work or school. Don’t swallow it! Make sure if you do this that you don’t spit the oil in your sink because coconut oil is a solid when it is cool. If you want to know more about this, watch this video.

Now, go use some oil!

Alex is a Junior at Manhattan College studying Marketing and Psychology. She likes good movies, good music, great friends, and long walks on the beach. Enjoy ~~~