5 Healthy Alternatives to Your Favorite Junk Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Cravings- Unfortunately, they are something we just can not control. But fortunately, there is something we can do about it! Once in a while we all crave the unhealthy snacks that we know we should not be eating. In order to avoid the unhealthy foods you try to stay away from, here are 5 healthy alternatives to help replace the desired junk foods!

1) Ice cream v. Greek Yogurt

Greek yogurt contains protein and probiotics that you need in order to maintain your health. It’s great for your digestive system and can even regenerate muscle tissues after a hard workout!

2) Potato Chips v. Unsalted Popcorn

Unlike greasy potato chips, unsalted popcorn is a healthy snack option that is low in fat and low in sodium. It is also very low in calories! Three cups of unsalted popped popcorn contains only 93 calories and only 1 gram of fat.

3) Candy v. Almonds

Rather than grabbing a handful of your favorite candy, enjoy a handful of almonds instead! Almonds, like most other nuts, are extremely tasty and extremely healthy. They can help to lower your cholesterol and they contain healthy fats that can help aid in fat loss!

4) Milkshake v. Fruit Smoothie

Forget the fat and calories in a milkshake, and blend your favorite fruits into a delicious smoothie! Fruit smoothies provide you with essential vitamins and minerals. Since they are rich in fiber, this can control your blood sugar and lower cholesterol. They also provide you with the healthy sugars you need for energy throughout your day.

5) Cookies v. Rice Cakes with Peanut Butter

When trying to avoid extra calories, go for a brown rice cake and top it with a peanut butter spread! Rice cakes usually range about 40-60 calories and are low in carbs! This is an especially satisfying snack after you workout, providing you with fiber. Even top it with a delicious banana to add more flavor and to get your daily dose of fruit and Potassium! 

Junior at Manhattan College. Major in Public Relations and minor in Business Marketing