When Your Best Friend Becomes Your Soul Mate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

Lena Dunham’s character Hannah Horvath writes ‘a friendship between college girls is grander and more dramatic than any romance’ in her hit TV show Girls. Dunham isn’t wrong. The friendships you make in your twenties, especially the ones at Uni, will be the strongest and most difficult you’ll have outside the ones with your family. You’re all becoming independent adults together. These friendships are more than friendships, they can almost become like marriages. You live together, work together, and play together. They become your other half.

How do you know this? Well…

It starts with that jump from friend to best friend (usually over post-night out munchies)

You start spending most of first year together

You get more and more comfortable with each other and all your weird quirks begin to come out…

But it’s okay, because you’re both as strange as each other

You decide to to live together in Second year (and it’s the most exciting decision ever

They see you at your best

And your worst…

Which includes those 2AM drunken rants about THAT ex (even though they’ve heard it many times before)

They bring you your groceries when you’re in need

You start having separation anxiety over the holidays

But being reunited is the best thing ever

Because they’re not just your best friend, they’re your significant other

(Photo credits to tumblr.com, weheartit.com)

Leah Gruber

Manchester