Culture > News

Update: The Stabbing at Manchester Academy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

In the early hours of Saturday morning, we broke the news that there had been a reported stabbing at Manchester Academy at a gig by Jamaican dancehall artist, Popcaan.

It’s said to have taken place shortly after Popcaan started performing with just four songs being played before the artist was promptly taken off stage and panic took over the crowd.

Police told The Manchester Evening News that they were called to the Oxford Road Venue shortly before 10.30pm after two men were attacked inside.

The two men were taken to hospital following the incident but are said to be doing well. In an official statement by the GMP, they said, “neither suffered serious or life-threatening injuries”.

Staff working at The Academy have confirmed that the event was immediately shut down and customers were promptly evacuated, yet staff were placed on lockdown and unable to leave the venue until 1am.

The attack follows a stabbing near Wembley Arena, on Thursday night, where Popcaan was also performing.

Bec Oakes

Manchester '20

A third-year English Language student and Campus Correspondent / Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus at University of Manchester with a love for clothes, cats and crime documentaries. In my spare time I enjoy blogging, skiing in a mediocre manner and putting things in online shopping baskets before hastily abandoning them.