This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

Fancy an eco-friendly Valentine’s? February 11th-16th is Go Green Week and the Students’ Union is bring a plethora of events to campus. Check out Go Green Week on Facebook for full details but, for now, HC Manchester will take you through the highlights.

February 11th

Want Not Waste, UoM’s very own zero waste shop, is launching with music, food from Global Kitchen and plenty of goodies. Located on the ground floor of the SU, come along to the grand opening from 5pm. It won’t be a waste of your time.

At 3-4pm is a Terrarium Workshop, the perfect opportunity to create your own boozy zero waste terrarium. Tickets have been generously subsidised and are selling fast so get yours here.

February 12th

Several film screenings are taking place throughout the week. At 5pm you can watch This Changes Everything, a film inviting viewers to consider the seemingly impossible. Can the climate crisis be a chance to rebuild our broken political and economic system?

Or, if your friends aren’t prepared to consider the easy changes we can all make during Go Green Week, then bring them along to the Sustainability Quiz Night at the SU bar. Ideas include recycling, saving glass jars to replace plastic tubs, ditching fast fashion and visiting the Want Not Waste shop for your next vitamin hit.

February 13th

Fancy a fruity fix? In the SU foyer there will be the classic old smoothie bike to get your heart pumping and your taste buds going.

Meet at All Saints Park at 2pm for our litter extravaganza, a litter pick sweeping down Oxford Road clearing up our beloved University and finishing with a walk around Whitworth park. Perhaps a trip into the Whitworth Gallery Café for a reward afterwards.

February 14th

Calling all bath lovers – there’s a bath bomb making workshop teaching you how to make gorgeous eco-friendly bath bombs using ingredients from your own home! Like the terrarium workshop, there are generously subsidised tickets but they’re selling out fast so grab yours ASAP.

Facing Climate Change with an Open Heart is one of many talks over the week opening up the discussion surrounding climate change – it’s not just some conspiracy theory made up by tree-hugging hippies. The alternative workshop series hopes to educate and empower students of UoM.

Februay 15th

If you’re feeling empowered then join the first international Youth Strike 4 Climate, where people of all ages are coming together to stand up for the future of our plane. Starting outside the SU on Oxford Road at 11am, the strike will march to St Peter’s Square to join the Fridays for Future protest at 12pm. 

February 16th

Have you heard of the Tree Trail around campus? The Tree Musketeers are hosting tours of the tree trail that you walk past every day without ever stopping to appreciate. Join them to discover the benefits and history behind the beautiful nature hidden in plain sight. These tours are also available during the week so check out Go Green Week on Facebook to find the perfect time for a mindful half hour.

Bec Oakes

Manchester '20

A third-year English Language student and Campus Correspondent / Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus at University of Manchester with a love for clothes, cats and crime documentaries. In my spare time I enjoy blogging, skiing in a mediocre manner and putting things in online shopping baskets before hastily abandoning them.