harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Cause: Music for the Jilted Generation Heads to Manchester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

London crowdfunded nightclub The Cause have announced a Manchester date on their UK fundraiser tour in response to Prodigy frontman Keith Flint’s death.

The Cause – London’s DIY, underground dance space – is holding a UK-wide fundraiser in honour of Keith Flint with 100% of proceeds from ticket sales going to charities dedicated to improving mental health and preventing suicide: 50% to The CALMzone and 50% to Mind.

The tour, curated in collaboration with NLA Artists, will be a UK-wide celebration of the music of Keith and The Prodigy and those they inspired. Local heroes will play alongside acts with whom the band shared line-ups and whose records were played during their rise to fame.

The first show of the tour will take place on March 21st at The White Hotel in Salford and boasts a lineup that fuses iconic Madchester DJs with some of the city’s freshest techno. Representing the glory days, Hacienda resident DJ Paulette and 808 State’s Daz will be spinning some classic acid house. Joining them are local techno favourites Phoebe Valentine, JDS and High Hoops.

Having raised over £5500 already and on track to double that from thier upcoming shows, The Cause has partnered with venues and local collectives in Manchester, Sheffield, Brighton, Southampton, Leeds, Edinburgh, Sunderland, Glasgow and Southend, with many other cities in the pipeline. Their aim is to raise maximum awareness and funds for mental health charities.

Martha Bolton, organiser of the Manchester leg of the tour, says, “Keith’s death is a tragedy, one that really highlights the importance of supporting mental health services. It’s incredible to see the pull something like music has when it comes to bringing people together to work as a community and do social good. We want to raise as much money as possible for the charities that work to prevent suicide.”

The Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is leading a movement against male suicide, the single biggest killer of men under 45 in the UK.

Mind provides information, advice and support to people affected by mental health problems. It works to prevent mental health problems, promote mental wellbeing and ensure those with mental health problems are respected and included in their local communities.

The Cause: Music for the Jilted Generation’s Manchester Fundraiser will be held at The White Hotel, Salford on March 21st 2019 from 10pm to 4am. Tickets for the event can be found here and donations can be made through the event’s Justgiving page.

For more info contact Martha Bolton at martha.bolton@hotmail.co.uk or Stuart Glen at stuart@supportthecause.co.uk

Bec Oakes

Manchester '20

A third-year English Language student and Campus Correspondent / Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus at University of Manchester with a love for clothes, cats and crime documentaries. In my spare time I enjoy blogging, skiing in a mediocre manner and putting things in online shopping baskets before hastily abandoning them.