Campus Celebrity – Alexia Schwarz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

Alexia is a second year Biology student who loves sports. Not only is she part of the University of Manchester recreational Swimming Team, but she also has a sports scholarship for Eventing (horse riding), and gave us a few tips about how to keep fit whilst at University!

What got you into horse riding in the first place?

Well my Dad basically. I used to go with him to shows when I was younger and just watch, and it became a part of my life and then a family thing! I learnt to ride in stables that held Equine therapy for children, which helped me a lot because at the time I wasn’t doing very well at school. But it was really my dad who made me so passionate!

You have a sports scholarship at the UoM, what does that entail?

The scholarship is in place to help students at the University to cope with a high level of competing sports whilst studying at uni, and you’re entitled to different bursaries and training opportunities depending on your level of competition. There are about 35 of us, ranging from Olympic Athletes to National Team members. I’m quite shocked they accepted my application!

What part of your scholarship is killing you the most?

Definitely the Strength and Conditioning in the ‘Power Room’. I do enjoy it and I do see an improvement, but at the same time it’s just so painful!

So do you actually get to compete or is it all training?

No we do compete! I joined the UoM Equestrian Club, so we compete with other Universities around the UK in the BUCS League. It’s not the same as I do at home, but it keeps me in shape and enthusiastic about riding.

Tell us a few of your best moments from Horse Riding!

Well I’m not sure I’m supposed to say this but we Eventers are quite the party animals! Though not all my best moments are the parties before Events. When I qualified for the Junior European Championships for Belgium, I was really happy to have proved myself. Unfortunately it went kind of sour when my horse went lame, it was lame…. (She laughs!)

You’ve mentioned going to the 2014 Asian Games in South Korea… That’s really impressive!

Well I haven’t qualified yet but I’m hoping to do so before March! I’d be representing Indonesia, as I’m half British, half Indonesian, but grew up in Belgium. I’m pretty international…!

What would you recommend for girls who are interested in sports at Uni? Or just want to keep healthy?

You don’t have to join a gym to do sports at Uni, as there are opportunities to do free sports around Halls and the University. Join the societies, you make lots of friends and have brilliant nights out. Just do it, you’re only in Uni once.

When it comes to boys… Sporty or arty?

Arty, I like my musicians.

And we know you can’t be exercising all of the time, so what do you do for fun?

I go out with friends, love to shop and travel! I love to sleep. I do think that as Uni students we deserve to sleep as much as we want! I make a mean curry as well, cooking is another passion!

Would you recommend those passionate about a certain sport to apply for the scholarship?

Yes!! It’s worth it and makes you even more motivated about your sport.

(Photo credits to Alexia Schwarz)