Style > Beauty

Best Beauty Dupes For Your Student Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

I am always on the prowl for a bargain, especially when it comes to beauty products, as the best are normally ludicrously overpriced!  However, over the years I have compiled a list of the best dupes for under £10.

BeautyBlender Sponge VS. Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge

All the bloggers in 2013 were raving about the BeautyBlender sponge, but at a steep £16 I couldn’t really justify buying it on my student loan. I searched far and wide for the best dupe on the scene and have finally found the best copy of this pricey product, in my opinion – the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge, at a pocket pleasing £5.99 from Boots.

Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer VS. ELF Mineral Infused Face Primer

Smashbox became famous in the blogosphere for its primer, and rightly so. It smooths and softens every crease, blemish and pore but with a hefty price tag of £25 in Boots. ELF, known for its incredible affordability, saw the opportunity and copied this marvellous product for a fraction of the price, at £6!

Bioderma Crealine H20 Micelle Solution VS. Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water

Bioderma is a brilliant product and makes anyone’s skin look and feel perfect but it is extremely hard to get your hands on, this side of the Channel Tunnel. If in France, it is definitely worth the buy at around €11. However, in Britain, Amazon is the only way to get your mits on it and it comes to a pricey £18.42 for 500ml. So my excitement when I found this Garnier dupe, for only £4.99 for 400ml, was through the roof. Personally, I can’t see myself going back to Bioderma while living off my student loan and I have a feeling Garnier’s Micellar Cleansing Water is going to be in the top spot for my skincare routine for quite a while.

Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner VS. Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner

Gel eyeliner is everywhere on the high street now and rightly so. It’s long wearing, pigmented and (most of the time) it’s waterproof. Out of all the high street copies of Bobbi Brown’s Long-Wear Gel Liner (£17.50) I think that Maybelline take the gold home, for a nifty £7.99 and also comes with a brush for application.

[pagebreak] MAC Fix+ VS. ELF Studio Makeup Mist and Set

A ‘best of dupes’ wouldn’t be complete without a few ELF dupe, and here is another one. MAC charges a steep £14.50 for their setting mist and ELF only charges £3.75. Although the MAC bottle does contain more product it is only a 40ml difference and for the price they are charging you could buy almost 4 of the ELF bottles! They are the kind of statistics I like to hear!

MoroccanOil Oil Treatment VS. Argan Oil Hair Treatment

Personally, I can’t tell the difference between these products, apart from the price. MoroccanOil Oil Treatment is a staggering £11.99 for a miniscule 25ml, whereas you are able to pick up Argan Oil Hair Treatment at Primark for no more that £1!

St.Moriz Instant Self-Tanning Mousse VS. St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse

I really have left the best until last with this dupe. St. Moriz have flawlessly copied St. Tropez’s self-tan for a 10th of the price. So, if you are feeling a little pale in these winter months, pop over to BodyCare in the Manchester Arndale to pick-up this bargain at just £2.99, and wow yourself with the olive brown tan you come out with! Let it develop for 6 hours and then wash off for an immaculate tan that won’t smudge or streak. This product is definitely my favourite dupe and I am always stocked up for when I want to pretend I have been to the Bahamas and back in a few short hours!

(Photo Credits: tumblr.com, pinterest.com)