Wellness > Health

Why You Should Start Running During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Thanks to coronavirus we are cooped up in the house nearly all day long. However, in this time of crisis it is important to take some time to get outside, (while practicing social distancing) breathe some fresh air, get some exercise and unwind. If you have been thinking about integrating more exercise into your daily routine there is no better time to start than now.

The men’s and women’s cross country and track team at Lynn has a fierce passion for running and they decided to share why they are involved in the running community in hopes to inspire others to get others involved as well. This is what they had to say: 

“I first got involved in running because I didn’t know who I was. I wanted to be significant in some way and running disciplined me into being understanding of myself and those around me,” said Angela Kashkimbyeva, sophomore. “It helped me become responsible, confident and grow friendships I wouldn’t have expected! I would encourage others to get into running because just like many other sports, you can build the most unexpected version of yourself through it.”

“I just want to be involved in something that helps push self improvement,” said Chris Wood, head coach. “I think working hard for anything no matter what it is will help people in all facets of their life. I also believe that running is a lifetime sport so anyone at any age can do it.”

“My biggest motivations for being a runner are how the sport challenges you both physically and mentally,” said Bryan Ryder, sophomore. “Everyday I constantly challenge myself to get better which is extremely rewarding when I achieve my goals. As well the running community is extremely welcoming, its easy to get involved and runners are almost always very friendly and nice people.”

“I am part of the running community, because I enjoy being surrounded by like-minded individuals with similar goals and passions both in regards to the sport and life in general,” said Chase Yoder, senior. “Others should join this community if they are looking for a sport that challenges them both physically and mentally and ultimately builds great friendships.”

“Running is a good way to clear my mind and to start my day on a positive note,” said Mandi Cohen, senior. “Starting my day with people who love running just like me makes each morning easier for me to wake up and do what I love.

“Being involved in the running community is, for me, a way to get closer to the sport’s values: fair-play, respect, tolerance and courage,” said Emmanuelle LeTertre,  sophomore.

“I am involved in the running community because of my love for running itself,” said Joey Anderson, sophomore.

Emily is the Senior Editor of the Her Campus chapter at Lynn University. She is anticipated to graduate in the spring of 2021 with a B.A. in Communications. Afterwards, she intends on furthering her passion for journalism in graduate school. Her ambitions took her beyond the classroom as she is now continuing her athletic career on the cross country and track team at Lynn University. She aspires to one day work at a major fashion or running magazine writing about physical and mental wellness. She is passionate about spreading positivity and love. She hopes to one day travel the world and write all about it.