This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

The term “best friend’ ” is overused. How can ten people or even five people be your best friend? Isn’t there only one best? There are many expectations from all different people of what a best friend should be. I am here to tell you why there is only one best friend. Let’s start from the beginning when I first realized this.

Growing up you will have so many friends in different stages of your life, because we are constantly growing and changing. We are friends with people because we share interests, or we go to the same school or we can laugh a lot, but when you leave the school, stop having interests in the same things, and no longer find the same things funny, friendships end. A true best friendship will not break. 

I grew up with a group of girls I called best friends, we are no longer in contact. I had a best guy friend for years, we are no longer in contact, I had a best friend in high school, we are no longer in contact. I had a best friend freshman year of college, we are no longer in contact, I have a best friend I have known since 5th grade, and she is still my best friend, she has the title. What is the difference between her vs the other people I called “best friends”?

A best friend is someone who sticks by you no matter what stage of life you are in, even if you don’t have the same interest, even if you don’t laugh at the same things, or you have different opinions. You may live in different states or countries, but you still manage to stay connected. You can simply enjoy their company, you love them as a person and they are someone in your life you know will not leave you. 

A best friend is someone you grow with, can count on for just about anything, not love everything about, but love them for who they are. A best friend is someone you are totally confident will stay in your life, there is no little doubt in the back of your mind. You may be disconnected at certain points in your life and you may not talk everyday, but when you do talk it’s a breath of fresh air. They will be your most honest critic and call you out on your sh*t, and you will stand there and take it because you know they are usually always right. Now this is what a best friend is in my eyes and life. 

Part 2 coming soon. 

Ava Margolis grew up in New Jersey and now resides in South Florida. Margolis attends Lynn University where she studies Multimedia Journalism. Margolis plans to continue her education to become a therapist for children. She is outgoing, compassionate, and an adventurous person who loves sharing her passions with others.