Style

The Best and Worst Dressed at the 2024 Grammy’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

It’s everyone’s favorite season of the year, award show season! Now personally, the best part of any form of celebrity media consumption will always be getting to judge the fashion. Here are the top best and worst dressed from the Grammys this week (in the opinion of a college student who is currently wearing sweats from 2017 and a stained sweatshirt).  

BEST DRESSED 

Lenny Kravitz in Rick Owens

Ok, I know this might seem like an unpopular opinion, but I love Lenny Kravitz so I’m going to be brave enough to say it. I don’t LOVE this look, however, I do LIKE it. It’s really interesting, like Mad Max meets the Matrix meets Lil Nas X. The main reason I like this look is because I am SO SICK of seeing men just wear plain black suits to award shows, so I appreciate Lenny stepping it up a bit.

7/10 

Olivia Rodrigo in Versace 

Now, I’m not the biggest fan of Olivia (no hate, I just don’t like her music) but I cannot lie, she is drop dead gorgeous. The old Hollywood hair combined with the vintage Versace dress that was originally worn by Linda Evangelista creates such a classy, timeless look. The bead work is incredible and the color works very nice on her skin tone and hair color. Even the red lip is just *chefs kiss*. 

8/10 

Billie Eilish as 1965 “Poodle Parade” Barbie 

I loved this look simply because it was recreating a Barbie doll. Personally, I don’t think this outfit on its own is Grammy worthy, but the knowledge of it being modeled after a vintage Barbie somehow makes it better. She looked so gorgeous and happy, and my roommate and I literally cried during her performance. “What Was I Made For” is such an incredible love letter to women all around the world and I think this was the perfect outfit to convey the meaning. It’s so simple and yet so powerful and she did it perfectly. 

6/10 

Coco Jones in Celia Kritharioti with a Swarovski and SKIMS body chain. 

She looks INSANELY good. The color of the sheer dress floating down over her creates such a beautiful visual, it looks almost like water. My favorite part of this look however is the body chain with the Swarovski crystal attached to her. I am such a sucker for a good body chain and this ties the look together, adding to the sparkles and goddess vibes she is giving off. She is genuinely one of the most gorgeous humans I have ever seen and I’m so glad she DELIVERED. 

9/10 

Tyla in custom Versace 

THIS DRESS IS INSANE!!!!! I love that it flows so smoothly, some may even say like water. The cutoffs around her waist and hip are done so perfectly, the way the dress drapes looks like a depiction of a Greek goddess. Love the simple jewelry, especially the belly button ring, it adds so much to the look and draws the attention to the dress. The short hair is everything, it very much reminds me of Halle Berry, and with such amazing facial features, she pulls it off incredibly well. 

10/10 

Now, for the worst dressed. Keep in mind, this is all opinion and for fun! No hate for any of these artists! 

WORST DRESSED

Ice Spice in Baby Phat 

I just…I don’t even know where to start with this look. I actually didn’t realize it was a dress at first and I thought it was jeans, but now that I have, I hate it even more. It just looks like something that would be worn to the VMA’s or Teen Choice Awards…not the Grammys. My roommate summed it up nicely, saying, “It looks like she’s going to the bodega shop to pick up some sandwiches.” It just doesn’t make any sense for such a big award show. Also, I feel like this hair color is leaning a bit more orange than her usual hair color, which isn’t necessarily bad, it just looks kind of off. 

3/10 

Alix Earle in Alexander McQueen 

This look is just so boring. If you are going to show up to one of the biggest nights in television and music and you wear a BLACK DRESS?! I’m sorry, I’m going to have to be a hater. I love Alix, but I just feel like this looks like something she would wear out to get dinner with her parents. If you have seen her Tiktok, you KNOW she can turn out some good looks, so I just don’t understand why she didn’t go all out for this event. I like the hair though, it seems like old Hollywood curls are the top trend right now. 

5/10 

Billie Eilish in Chrome Hearts 

It’s mildly impressive that Billie has made both sides of this list, because while I loved the subtle Barbie nod in her performance outfit, this one is just too much. It kind of looks like an usher at a movie theater the day Barbie came out. Also, I am getting a bit bored with this same silhouette style that Billie has been wearing for years on red carpets, and I was hoping that she would finally change it up. I do, however, love the hair color on her, just not necessarily with this outfit. 

4/10 

Miley Cyrus in Maison Margiela 

Ok. I actually really like the dress, it’s different, it’s cool, and it’s very reminiscent of her “old Miley” era, while still connecting into her new “Flowers” era. The top of the dress very much reminds me of the Ariana Grande “Break Free” music video. Watch the video and you’ll get it. HOWEVER… this hair makes me want to cry. She looks like she has been electrocuted. I don’t know if she was trying to go for a Dolly Parton “trailer trash” look, but it didn’t land at all. 

3/10 

Ed Sheeran in camo????? 

Oh hey Ed, didn’t see you there! I know I said I am sick of seeing men wearing just plain black suits on the red carpet, but this, this is simply not what I meant. It’s just such a bizarre choice to make for the Grammys, particularly for Ed Sheeran, since I feel like he normally plays it very safe. Can’t hate on him too much though because Castle on the Hill is still that song. 

4/10 

Kelly Osbourne in Christian Siriano 

Oh, that’s not- in the sense that…. This look is so odd to me. Don’t get me wrong, she looks beautiful, but the hair color is just messing with me so badly. She reminds me of a monster high doll that had to put on a Barbie dress because the dog chewed her clothes up, the hair and the dress just don’t work together. I do like the little radio purse thing she has going on, but I do wish it was bigger. If you are going to carry that around, you have to go big or go home! 

3/10 

What did you think of the Grammy’s this year?

Colleen Minnaugh is a freshman at Loyola University Maryland. She is originally from Atlanta GA, and is a writing major with an English minor. Writing and reading have been a huge part of her life since middle school; from AP Literature, to dramatic writing class, she has always known that writing would be a huge part of her life. Colleen has been working at her local, all female owned and operated bookstore since she was fifteen years old, leading her to be exposed to many different kinds of writing styles and genres, but she quickly discovered that classic literature holds a very special place in her heart. From the stories told by the likes of Charlotte Bronte, Franz Kafka, to even the occasional contemporary author such as Sylvia Plath, Colleen is absolutely captivated by the beloved classics. Colleen will mainly aim to write opinion based pieces on current events, pop culture, politics, book reviews, movie recommendations, and so much more! She will publish an article about every two weeks, and she hopes that you enjoy them each time!