8 Ways to Get in the Christmas Spirit While in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Goodbye Thanksgiving! Helloooo Christmas! “Alexa, play All I Want For Christmas is You by Mariah Carey.” Who doesn’t love this time of year?! It’s the time to stay home, get comfy, give & receive gifts, and soak up the most wonderful time of the year! College is tough but we can still have the best holiday season while away from home.  

1. Order a Starbucks holiday drink 

Starbucks outdid themselves once again—I’m not surprised. Their holiday drink menu this year is happiness in a cup! Flavors from gingerbread, to sugar cookie, to peppermint mocha, caramel brulee, and so much more! Even if you’re not into caffeine, they make holiday Frappuccinos. You could also try a peppermint brownie cake pop, snowman cookie or loafs and danishes. Starbucks has got you covered this season.  

1. Paint your nails red 

While we are typing papers on the computer or studying for finals, let’s have some festive nails! Red nails are a classic post-Thanksgiving nail color. So when you’re taking a snap of your Starbucks holiday drink in your hand or typing on your laptop, add some red nails to the scene for a Christmas mood boost.   

1. Play your favorite Christmas songs 

Everyone has that Christmas playlist of all their favorite Christmas songs that gets played for a month straight. Making a holiday playlist is also a great activity to get you excited for the holiday ahead. Justin Bieber, Mariah Carey, Michael Bublé, Kelly Clarkson, Pentatonix and Frank Sinatra have the best hits of all! 

1. Decorate! 

What better way to get in holiday spirit than putting snowflakes, reindeer, and Christmas trees all over your dorm or apartment! Being in a jolly and festive environment is a great way to get in the holiday spirit. You can find decorations at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or Amazon. Spraying holiday scented room spray or lighting a candle (if you’re allowed) can also enhance the ambiance. Who doesn’t want to do homework while smelling a spiced gingerbread and looking at a lit up mini Christmas tree?  

1. Put on some cute pjs 

Matching pajama sets are ALL the rage right now. Who doesn’t want to go to bed feeling cute and comfy? At least you won’t look silly going to get snacks from the dining hall in a 2015 basketball t-shirt from middle school and old shorts anymore. You can find a cheap pair from Old Navy or Marshalls. Nice pajamas are also a great gift to give to anyone you love! 

1. Make your Christmas wish list 

No one is ever too old to write a Christmas list to Santa. Make it easier for your friends and family to shop for you…. and for you to get the gifts you ACTUALLY want. Just tell Grandma you want a Target gift card (it’s your safest bet). Take a scroll on TikTok and find some new products you want to try. Or look in your drawers and think of some empty products that need a refill. New clothes, makeup products, home decor, gift cards or shoes are just some ideas. You can also make an aesthetic presentation using Canva for some extra spirit. 

1. Bake a sweet treat 

Try out a new holiday recipe! Make some sugar cookies and decorate with frosting and red & green sprinkles. They’ll smell wonderful while baking and are sure to help out the Christmas fun. 

1. Watch a Christmas movie 

The Christmas season consists of binge watching all the classic Christmas movies. Get some roommates and friends together and put on Elf, A Christmas Story, How the Grinch Stole Christmas or any of the 1,000 others. Freeform’s 25 Days of Christmas movies start on December 1st and shows a different movie everyday. Make a checklist of all the movies you want to watch this season! Get under a cozy blanket and let the show begin! 

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!

Talia Navarro is a freshman at Loyola University of Maryland. She was born and raised in New Jersey. She attended Middletown High School South, the place where she found her interest in studying law. She took Business Ethics, Creative Writing, and Effective Oral Communication electives. At the end of her senior year in high school, she won three different awards for submitting writing entries. The pieces included topics of being a child of a first responder, growing up as a dancer, and her dream of becoming a lawyer. Her journaling fascination was sparked by her Dad at a young age. If she ever had a school paper, she would report straight to him. They would sit in the dining room for hours and work through her corrections and how to improve her skills. Whether it is a simplistic story about rescuing her dog or writing about the causes of World War II, he was able to excel. She still continues to aspire to have her father’s ability and reach his level of composing mastery. In her personal life, she has incorporated journaling into her everyday routine, to reflect on her gratitude and make affirmations to herself. She enjoys helping her friends and classmates edit their school papers. She does not have a professional background just yet, however, she hopes to build it soon! She loves to read books in her free time. Her favorite genres are fiction and romance, but recently she has found interest in thrillers. She enjoys exercising and staying active, whether that includes going for a walk outdoors or going to an instructed class. A guilty pleasure of Talia's is shopping. If you ever offer a shopping trip, just know her answer is yes! She also has a passion for hair and makeup. She is always watching tutorials and testing various makeup techniques. She loves to try out new hairstyles and find the best hair care products on the market.