7 Items to Treat Yourself This Semester from Black Owned Businesses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

With Loyola turning to a fully virtual semester, I’ve personally been looking for ways to make my own workspace cozier and to give myself a little extra TLC. I’ve been searching and wanted to give a guide to show some self-love while showing some love to black owned businesses too!

All of these items are available for $21 or less (excluding tax and shipping) and will make the start of the virtual semester just a little more special!

Shower Steamer Bundle Pack

Akilah’s Essentials, $16.99

Don’t have a bathtub at home- or baths just aren’t your thing? You need to try this four pack of bath bomb-like products that fill your whole shower with soothing scents like peppermint eucalyptus, rose vanilla, and more! You can get 10% off by signing up for their email list, too.

Cedar + Vanilla Amber 9oz Jar Candle

228 Grant Street Candle Company, $21

Based in our very own Baltimore, this candle company hand pours small batches of candles using natural soy wax, a lead-free cotton wick, and premium fragrance oil. There are PLENTY of fresh scents, but this one is smoky and warm for fall. They’re also available in 4oz tins for $11! Tins have a 25 hour burn time, while the 9oz jars have a 60 hour burn time.

Good Vibes Coloring Book

Cafe Con Libros, $9.19

Creative expression more your style? Look no further than a good old coloring book with encouraging phrases and detailed pictures to color on high quality paper. You can get some stress out on the page and support an intersectional feminist bookstore located in Brooklyn, NY.

Dance Workout Class

Ailey Extension, $12

Ailey Extension stems from black dance and choreography legend Alvin Ailey, and they are offering online classes for you to get moving! From Zumba to ballet or modern- even offering classes just for stretches, Ailey Extension has classes for anyone who wants to move and have fun while doing it. One class is $12 on average, but they also offer subscription packages.

Pipcorn Family Snacks

Pipcorn Heirloom Snacks, $16

When Oprah, Shark Tank, and Essence Magazine likes it, it has to be good, right? Pipcorn is the “better for you” mini popcorn for when you’re bingeing Parks and Rec… again. With flavors like truffle and caramel- along with old favorites sea salt and kettle, you’re sure to finish off this 4-pack pretty quick. And get this- it’s non-GMO, vegan, AND dairy free! Check out their website for even more of their snacks, but this will give you a great sampling of their main product. 

Elegua Nail Laquer

Triple O Polish, $5.50

Handmade in batches, Triple O Polish knows how to make a vibrant color that lasts. The “Elegua” shade (all shades are named after pre-colonial African Kings and Queens) is a gorgeous deep red/orange shade that’s perfect for fall, but you can look and find the right color for you on their website. It is resistant to chipping as well as vivid and bold for when you want to have a little spa day after syllabus week.

Confetti Cake Body Creme

Shea Shea Bakery Skincare, $20

This body butter is good enough to eat. It is whipped to perfection to moisturize and soften your skin without being greasy, and smells sweet and rich enough to make you crave the real thing! The “cake top” is also crafted by artists at the “bakery” so you’re getting something unique every time. 

Remember to take care of yourself this semester! Let’s lift up our communities and show our support, while getting a little something to help make ourselves feel good too!

Brooke Amodei is a senior and writer for HerCampus at Loyola University Maryland. She studies Elementary Education with a minor in Special Education.
Peyton Skeels is a senior at Loyola University Maryland studying Economics with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is an RA, member of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society, and currently serves as a co-Campus Correspondent and the Editor-in-Chief for HC at LUM. When not studying, you'll find her gazing through her camera lens, listening to a podcast, or working on her blog, Patience and Pajamas.