This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Now that the presents have been opened and the Christmas leftovers have been eaten, many will turn their attention to the upcoming new year. 2020 sounds so ominous, like somehow this new decade has the ability to bring out the change you’ve always been thinking of. Even if this is just wishful thinking, I 100% support New Year Resolutions. If someone needs a specific date to make changes in their life, then what’s the harm? 

I’ve been thinking a lot about where I want to be – not only at the end of 2020, but for the years to come after that. I know I can’t possibly prepare myself for what the future holds, but I think it’s important to consciously aid yourself in growing each year. And what better way to do that than to create a list of resolutions— big and small. Here are my resolutions for 2020:

Keep a journal. 

It seems like I only journal/write when something terrible has happened in my life. Reading my old entries is… extremely depressing? I want to focus on all the positive aspects of my life, so I want to change the way I approach journaling. Even if it’s the smallest of accomplishments, I think it would be beneficial to acknowledge them.

Actually use that expensive planner.

Every. Single. Year. I buy myself a beautiful planner equipped with large writing spaces, full calenders and to-do list sections. I spend hours looking for ~the right one~ and I promise myself that I’ll dedicate at least 20 minutes a day to filling out my assignments and whatnot. Then, within the first two weeks of classes, the planner has cemented itself to the bottom of my backpack never to see the light of day again. My memory is horrible, and a planner would fix so many problems in my life. So 2020: get ready to get ORGANIZED.

Get back on a steady workout regimen.

In highschool (and even freshman year of college) I definitely overdid my workouts. I’d be going because I felt like I had to, not because I wanted to. Now that I’m a bit more comfortable in my own skin, I still go to the gym, but for a different reason: it clears my head and I feel amazing afterwards. It’s like doing something kind for yourself for an hour or two; something selfish yet beneficial. Between school, work and HC I find myself going to the gym less and less, but I want to make working out a part of my daily routine again, regardless of my workload in 2020.

Savor every moment.

Something that 2019 taught me was the time flies by, whether you realize it or not. It feels like just yesterday I was waltzing around Loyola’s campus as a freshman with no care in the world. This last semester will mean a lot to myself and my friends, and we’re all dedicated to enjoying every second of every day. For the past three months, I’ve been actively taking a moment each day to notice my surroundings, take inventory on how I feel, and allow myself to feel that thing to the fullest. I’m creating so many happy memories this way, and this is something I hope to continue throughout 2020 and onward.

Her Campus LUC CC Diana is a senior at Loyola University Chicago pursuing a bachelors degree in Creative Advertising, with a minor in Visual Communication. As a self-proclaimed horror novel enthusiast, avid drinker of intricate coffees, and pseudo art aficionado, Diana hopes to share her wide array of passions with the HERCampus readers.
HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers.