This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

I have always been a big fan of handwritten letters. I think it has so much sentimentality in it without even trying hard. I have written many letters in my lifetime, some short and sweet and some long and deep. Whichever you may choose to write, handwritten letters are a great way to show someone you love, just how much you love them! 

Here are seven tips that I like to follow when writing my own letters and thought it was time to share for any other hopeless romantics.

Find a good subject. This one may seem obvious but choosing a decent subject is a big part of a good love letter. You need to make sure you have someone that you can write a lot about or else this will be a very short two-sentence note you leave on a post-it on the bathroom mirror. 

Start it off with a personal greeting. This can be a simple “Hi” or whatever greeting you love to say the most. I like a good ole “Hello, I hope this is finding you well.” but that might be a little too simple so have fun and make it… you! That’s a great way to make it even more sentimental. 

Be straight-up. Look, it might be pretty blunt but telling them why you are exactly writing them the letter is a good way to give a nice summary. It’s almost like an introduction to the letter and is a nice way to summarize your thoughts before you actually write them down. 

Tell them why you love/ appreciate them. This can be an easy feat or a hard one to piece out on paper but either way, this is important for a love letter after all. To help, it might be nice to tell them how much they have impacted your life also. I always like to let them know the things they taught me whether it be their work ethic helped me to be a harder worker or how their kindness inspires you to do good deeds.

Stories can fill lots of pages. If you use storytelling and list off some of your favorite memories, it can be a great way to show them that you not only remember the little moments but also that you cherish the time you guys spend together. Going in-depth with some memories also adds some length to the letter. 

Don’t be afraid to get sappy. It might seem out of your comfort zone but writing a love letter is the perfect time to get sappy and make your recipient shed some tears. If you aren’t a sappy person in nature and don’t show affection well, this can be a great way to get sappy without having to actually say the words out loud and can make an even better reaction from the one you’re trying to tell. 

End with a nice bang. The ending is key. You want to leave them with a nice kicker that grabs their attention and makes them think about it for a while. This can be a great place to wish them well as well and tie the letter together with a bow on top. I always love to end it with a catchy quote and my iconic signature (if you plan to write quite a few letters, getting an iconic signature is a good idea to be remembered). 

Above all, make sure that you really show yourself through the letter. That’s the best thing you could ever give someone you care about. Of course, I prefer handwritten letters but if you are more of a typing kind of person, go for it. Whatever way you can show that you love is a great way. Good luck with your writing!

Sarah is from Dayton, Ohio and is currently studying MultiMedia Journalism at Loyola University Chicago. She enjoys thrifting, traveling, fashion, film photography and lifestyle. She is a creative person and finds comfort in writing, exploring the great city of Chicago, and listening to music. Her dream job is to travel and see the world as she writes about different cultures and activities to do in those different countries. Instagram: @sarahgsommers