This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Many people underestimate the power of a good nighttime routine. I have come to learn that a successful nightly routine is essential for having a good night’s rest as well as having a better morning. Here are some things that are a crucial part of my night.

Dinner

The first step in my night routine happens before the night even begins. I am usually starving after a long day of classes, so around 6, I have dinner. Some days I either have leftovers or I make something simple like pasta or rice with some kind of protein.

Homework

Once I’ve finished dinner, I work on homework assignments that are due the next day. This step can range from 30 minutes to 2 or more hours depending on how much work I have.

Clean

A way that I wind down after a long day is to do a cursory clean of my room. This means wiping down surfaces, putting away stray papers and things, as well as doing a quick sweeping. Doing this prevents clutter from piling up and ensures that you wake up with a clean space.

Me Time

Once my assignments are done and my room is clean, it’s usually around 9:30. I take this time to do something to treat myself. Some nights this includes reading a novel, watching YouTube videos, catching up on Grey’s Anatomy or making chocolate chip cookies. Whatever it is, I use this time to just relax and reward myself for a long day’s work. If my day had been really stressful, then I’d do a combination of a sweet treat, entertainment and then a mini spa night.

Clean Body=Clean Mind

Speaking of spa night, at around 10 I start to get ready for bed. So I’ll shower, wash my hair, do a face mask, brush my teeth and anything else I need to do. If it’s a mini spa night, I take a bath using essential oils and a bath bomb.

As you may be able to tell, I’m a big advocate of self-care, so any particular spa night is tailored based on how I am feeling.

Self Improvement

After showering, I’ll put some pajamas on and then read a few pages to a chapter of a motivational/ self-help book. Currently, I am reading You are a Badass by Jen Sincero. By then, it’s usually 11 so I’ll plan out my top three goals for the next day as well as any additional “to-dos” to the Reminders app on my phone. During my morning routine, I transfer these things to my planner.

Lights out

Once that is done, I turn my lights off and try to go to sleep. A bad habit that I’m trying to break is that I usually then read a contemporary romance on my phone which sometimes keep me engaged well past midnight.

Usually though, 11:30-midnight is when I go to sleep.

I hope you enjoyed getting a view of what I do as a part of my night routine, and hopefully you can get some inspiration for your own.

I am a college freshman at Loyola University Chicago, studying business administration and psychology.
Annie Kate Raglow is a fourth-year honors student at Loyola University Chicago. She is a journalism major with a music minor, and she enjoys her role as contributor for the LUC chapter of Her Campus. Annie was Campus Correspondent when the chapter re-launched at LUC. She has a passion for traveling and meeting new people, as well as advocating for social issues. Career goals (as of right now) include opportunities in investigative or documentary journalism. Music is a huge part of Annie's life, and one of her favorite pastimes is performing at local Chicago "open mic" nights. She also loves finding independent coffee shops! Annie is ambitious in pursuit of her journalism and music skills, and loves everything that Her Campus has to offer.