How to Be. your Own Boss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Although everyone will have their own individualized college experience, we can all agree that prioritizing and keeping up with our work is a balancing act. Some students dare to venture beyond what is required, and choose pursue outside personal goals. Loyola Freshman Bethany Yamamoto gives us her tips and tricks on how she struck this balance and kick-started Be. Bracelets in the process:

(The Bold Collection)​

What was the inspiration behind Be. Bracelets and when did you begin your business?

“My mom has always been really into essential oils, and we have diffusers in almost every room of our house. So, during winter break of 2017 my mom discovered aromatherapy bracelets and thought it would be fun if we made our own, so she bought some beads and I made a few. My sister, Trinity, and I started wearing them around and people were asking where I got them and wanted to buy them from us. My mom, sister, and I decided we could make a business out of this. However, Trinity and I wanted our products to have a greater meaning behind them. We decided that whenever you looked at our bracelets, we wanted it to remind and encourage you to be bold, be joyful, and be you, and this became the motto of our company. We worked together with my mother’s friend who is also an entrepreneur and guided us in the process of starting a business. We officially launched our website for be. mid may of 2018. I design and make the product and my sister determines the prices and updates the website.”

How do you balance being both a college student and an entrepreneur?

“It has definitely been a challenge working from school rather than at home. It has increased my communication and organization skills. During the summer, we planned a few months ahead and I made product. Then during my breaks, I go home and we work together to create designs and product for the upcoming months. For fall break actually, Trinity and I reached out to a local boutique, Sugarboo & Co., and we were featured in their trunk show, which was such a fun experience! When I am not home however, my sister and I have weekly facetime meetings to stay organized.”

What has been the most rewarding part about business management for you?

“My major is not business, but it has been fun to learn about all the parts and pieces of what goes into creating and maintaining a company. It has been an exciting journey working together with my sister, and we have definitely grown closer from it.”

(The Joyful Collection)

Any advice for other college women who want to start their own businesses?

“If you want to start a business, go for it, and do not be afraid to ask for help in the process. Also go outside of your comfort zone in going for events or reaching out and networking with companies and partners to support your business. Stay organized and plan ahead, but do not be discouraged if parts of your plan do not pan out as planned. Sometimes it works out better when that happens. Oh- and have fun with it!”

Bethany is the perfect example that you can achieve your dreams as an entrepreneur while still in college. With hard work and dedication to your chosen craft, anything is possible. To find more information, or pick up your own Be. Bracelet, head on over to beabracelets.com or check out their Instagram: be_braceletsofficial.

Brooke Craig is a first year Journalism student at Loyola University Chicago. She is passionate about writing and helping others.
Annie Kate Raglow is a fourth-year honors student at Loyola University Chicago. She is a journalism major with a music minor, and she enjoys her role as contributor for the LUC chapter of Her Campus. Annie was Campus Correspondent when the chapter re-launched at LUC. She has a passion for traveling and meeting new people, as well as advocating for social issues. Career goals (as of right now) include opportunities in investigative or documentary journalism. Music is a huge part of Annie's life, and one of her favorite pastimes is performing at local Chicago "open mic" nights. She also loves finding independent coffee shops! Annie is ambitious in pursuit of her journalism and music skills, and loves everything that Her Campus has to offer.