Get Out of the IC and Go to These Cafés!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Sometimes you just get so sick and tired of going to the IC, you just cannot spend another minute under that horrible yellow hue lighting. The sadness and lack of hope just radiates off of people and consumes you. If you couldn’t tell already, I don’t like the IC, but I have to go there. See, my problem is that I cannot do my work at home. I’m not sure as to why… I just cannot seem to concentrate or focus on anything when I’m at home. So, that means I always have to be in a different setting, either at a café or somewhere quiet where I can get some work done. Here are some great places that I’ve found to take me out of that dreadful IC and into the city!

Sol Café

1615 Howard St, Chicago, IL 60626

Hours:

Thursday7AM–7PM

Friday7AM–6PM

Saturday7AM–6PM

Sunday7AM–6PM

Monday7AM–7PM

Tuesday7AM–7PM

Wednesday7AM–7PM

Sol Café is literally the way to my soul. I somehow always end up getting an iced vanilla latte, and a breakfast sandwich with avocado. It has became a staple that I cannot seem to pass up whenever I’m in the area.

Peet’s Coffee

1622 Chicago Ave, Evanston, IL 60201

Hours:

Thursday

5:30AM–8PM

Friday

5:30AM–8PM

Saturday

6:30AM–8PM

Sunday

6:30AM–8PM

Monday

5:30AM–8PM

Tuesday

5:30AM–8PM

Wednesday

5:30AM–8PM

The Crepe Shop

2928 N Broadway, Chicago, IL 60657

Hours:

Thursday

8AM–9PM

Friday

8AM–9PM

Saturday

8AM–9PM

Sunday

8AM–9PM

Monday

Closed

Tuesday

8AM–9PM

Wednesday

8AM–9PM

Somehow I magically found The Crepe Shop, I was actually looking for a different cafe to go to, but when I got there it was packed and it looked like no one was moving from their seats any time soon. So, I went on the hunt for another close cafe and found this place. Whatever you’re bound to order, it will be amazing. I 100% recommend the biscoff crepe with strawberries, it is literal heaven.

Maison Marcel

3114 N Broadway, Chicago, IL 60657

Hours:

Thursday

7AM–6PM

Friday

7AM–6PM

Saturday

7AM–6PM

Sunday

7AM–6PM

Monday

7AM–6PM

Tuesday

7AM–6PM

Wednesday

7AM–6PM

Let me just say that the food and appearance of the restaurant/ cafe is just breathtaking. I’ve gotten multiple different dishes from them and each one was wonderful. Whatever you order it will be amazing!

Charmers Café

1909, 1500 W Jarvis Ave, Chicago, IL 60626

Hours:

Thursday6:30AM–3PM

Friday6:30AM–3PM

Saturday7AM–4PM

Sunday7AM–4PM

Monday6:30AM–3PM

Tuesday6:30AM–3PM

Wednesday6:30AM–3PM

Definitely recommend any latté. They are absolutely amazing and come in very big sizes. Their drinks are relatively cheap and they have some pretty good food options. I recommend either a lemon poppyseed muffin or a breakfast bagel. Either are wonderful.

Ellipsis Coffeehouse

1259 W Devon Ave, Chicago, IL 60660

Hours:

Thursday

7AM–5PM

Friday

7AM–5PM

Saturday

7AM–5PM

Sunday

7AM–5PM

Monday

7AM–5PM

Tuesday

7AM–5PM

Wednesday

7AM–5PM

I am a college freshman at Loyola University Chicago, studying English and Journlism.
Annie Kate Raglow is a fourth-year honors student at Loyola University Chicago. She is a journalism major with a music minor, and she enjoys her role as contributor for the LUC chapter of Her Campus. Annie was Campus Correspondent when the chapter re-launched at LUC. She has a passion for traveling and meeting new people, as well as advocating for social issues. Career goals (as of right now) include opportunities in investigative or documentary journalism. Music is a huge part of Annie's life, and one of her favorite pastimes is performing at local Chicago "open mic" nights. She also loves finding independent coffee shops! Annie is ambitious in pursuit of her journalism and music skills, and loves everything that Her Campus has to offer.